Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Plantar Fasciitis ?

(13 Posts)
LIZS Sat 20-Oct-12 10:31:40

A few weeks ago I started to get pain in my right heel in the mornings as felt stiff and inflexible compared to rest of my foot. I had similar for a few weeks last year but eventually it went away. Yesterday it was particularly bad in the evening as I'd been standing for a lot of the day. Does it sound like PF ? Is it worth seeing gp and/or physio or are there any self help tips I could try first?

Haahoostory Sat 20-Oct-12 10:39:35

It does sound like pf.
Gently stretch your calf for 30s a few times a day.
Place a bottle of water in the freezer. In the evenings, whilst sitting, roll you foot over it for a few minutes.
Wear low heels during the day to ease the pain.
If this doesn't work in 8 weeks, purchase a night splint or Strasbourg sock.
(I'm a physio - on ml - my first bit of work in 7 months!)

LIZS Sat 20-Oct-12 10:43:57

Great, thank you! If I sort it out now is it likely to recur ? It has become worse since working from home so less walking and "proper" shoes/boots. I don't normally wear heels over an inch or two anyway but at home spend time in Fitflops, good or bad ?

doglover Sat 20-Oct-12 14:03:51

I have chronic PF and LIVE in Fitflops! Boots in winter, non-toepost sandals in summer and their trainers all year. I agree wth HHS's advice regarding the exercises. I found several visites to a podiatrist very helpful, too - he 'bound' my feet (like swaddling!) for a week at a time and this really helped when the pain was severe. HTH

Haahoostory Sat 20-Oct-12 14:46:14

Heels just ease the tension on the tissue, but to get a long term improvement you need to stretch the tissues. Fit flops should be fine. Doglover is right, taping can allow the tissues to rest and repair and promote healing. A physio can tape too.

tharsheblows Sat 20-Oct-12 15:00:02

I live in my Fitflop Mukluks at home- they're better than bare feet for me (I only use them as indoor shoes).

Agree with all the stretching. When I had it, I did calf stretches every time I went up or down the stairs. It helped within a few days and it hasn't come back, although if I feel even a twinge, I stretch, so that might be why.

LIZS Sat 20-Oct-12 15:45:20

Maybe I could persuade dh that I need a winter pair of FF!

tharsheblows Sat 20-Oct-12 15:48:00

Yes, cheaper in the long run. Think of all the money you'll save by staying home and working rather than going to the doctor. You have to get there, that costs money, and have a coffee afterwards, that costs money, and what if there were an accident on the way? Lots of money. Warm comfy slippers are the answer.

kate2boysandabump Sat 20-Oct-12 15:55:02

I suffer too, it's always aggravated by any shoe where I have to claw my toes to keep them on. It's always better in the winter, when I wear proper shoes.

ezrida Sun 21-Oct-12 07:44:21

There are many things you can do to treat your plantar fasciitis. I had plantar fasciitis for about a year and I discovered that treatment is individual. Things that work for one will not always work for the other. The good news is that you have many treatments you can try but you must be persistent and patient. For me it was taping that accelerated my healing
I have found a good plantar fasciitis treatment review website in:
http://www.plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com/How_is_Plantar_Fasciitis_Treated.html
There are many self care treatments ideas in there but I think you should consult a podiatrist before you do something.
Icing or cold therapy is used to reduce inflammation so if you want to reduce your pain symptom you can apply ice. I prefer to roll a frozen water bottle.
Take care

LIZS Sun 21-Oct-12 10:55:05

Thank you. Stretching yesterday certainly seems to have helped pain today so will continue to give it a go for now.

AvonCallingBarksdale Mon 22-Oct-12 13:58:54

I had it for 2 years and lived in FitFlops and MBTs. Exercises:
Rolling your foot on a frozen water bottle
Sitting on the floor, legs stretched out with a scarf round the offending foot and pulling it towards you IYSWIM
Standing with half your toes and ball of foot only on the stairs and "hanging off" with your heels (helps to stretch the calf)
Pushing against a wall with one leg stretched out behind you (the one with the bad foot)
I also lost some excess weight. You have to keep up the exercises, but the footwear provided a lot of pain relief!

Kethryveris Mon 22-Oct-12 20:56:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now