Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Asthma Inhalers advice please

(6 Posts)
LIZS Fri 19-Oct-12 18:33:07

I take preventer (Symbicort) twice a day and also have Ventolin occasionally. Recently I've managed to burn my mouth a couple of times, leaving an ulcer which takes a while to heal, and my tongue seems less sensitive. I know that with steroid skin creams you have to be careful to apply only to the affected area as it can thin healthy tissue , could this be the same with steroid inhalers ? I normally rinse my mouth or brush teeth after taking it. I have a review appointment on Monday and wondered if I should mention it.

HowMayICountTheWays Fri 19-Oct-12 18:37:25

I would mention it. My daughter got a gumboil from her inhalers, her Asthma nurse saw her shortly after it was treated and corrected her technique a bit to avoid further problems.

Notquite Fri 19-Oct-12 18:39:40

Definitely mention it. DD1 has just been put on Symbicort, GP said she shouldn't feel it going in at all.

tabbycat15 Sat 20-Oct-12 01:53:04

Have you tried using a spacer? My dd has asthma & had always used a spacer. You can get adult ones.

sashh Sat 20-Oct-12 03:18:15

Get a spacer.

If you an taste the ventolin you are not using your inhaler properly.

Good technique

Breath out as much as you can
put inhaler in mouth but don't press
start to breath in, press inhaler and continue to breath in for as long as you can
hold your breath for as long as you can up to 10 seconds, in that time you can swallom but not breathe

Acording to my GP the preventer, even with perfect tecnique, you don't get the correct dose so he recomends a spacer

LIZS Sat 20-Oct-12 06:48:17

I've got a spacer but i didn't think you could use it with this type of inhaler - it is a twist/breath activated rather than one you press. Dentist reckons only about 10% of an inhaler gets to where it should, hence the need to rinse afterwards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now