Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

'Lump in throat' feeling -- is there something going round?

(6 Posts)
Lancelottie Fri 19-Oct-12 13:21:38

DH has had a weird feeling of a lump in the throat for a couple of weeks, as if a bit of food is stuck, and has been to the GP about it. They've taken it very seriously and referred him for all sorts of tests.

Good, if scary, so far.

BUT the bit they don't seem to have listened to is that I have the same weird, blocked, not exactly painful but lumpy feeling, just at the base of the throat, and according to 10-yr-old DD this morning, so does she.

We've all had colds for roughly forever at least the past two weeks, but honestly, this is something I normally get with a cold!

Anyone got any ideas? I can't get an appointment till next week as I evidently didn't sound urgent, whereas DH did and now he has all weekend to google it and convince himself he'll be dead by Monday

Lancelottie Fri 19-Oct-12 13:22:07

Aargh. That was meant to say, NOT something I normally get with a cold.

traipsingalong Mon 05-Nov-12 19:26:11

I went to the doctor with this recently and was told it was an immune system reaction - something related to the tonsils - even though I don't have any tonsils anymore, apparently you can still have some tonsil-type tissue left....

Would be interested to hear what your dh's doctor has come back with, if anything?

CMOTDibbler Mon 05-Nov-12 19:50:16

DH is coming down with something, and has the same feeling atm weirdly enough

Lancelottie Tue 06-Nov-12 10:02:08

Ooooh, responses! Thank you both -- so it's not just me going daft, then?

DH got a total lack of anything suspicious on test results, and a suggestion that it was probably anxiety-related.

I got a suggestion of acid reflux (though I don't have heartburn), prescribed heavy-duty antacids and told to come back in a fortnight. They haven't helped, in fact I'd say they've made it worse. Burping like a good 'un now, though, so maybe it is part of the problem?

Will suggest tonsils at the new appointment, thanks!

CheeryCherry Tue 06-Nov-12 16:54:36

I have a similar problem, wierd lump like feeling in my throat. My ear was very blocked on the same side a couple of weeks ago, and wondered if it was related. It hasn't reached my tonsils but my glands in my neck are sore. Am just putting up with it. Maybe I should see a Dr.... Keep us posted with how your DH and DD gets on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now