Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

School put my child at risk I don't know what to do!

(36 Posts)
invisblelink Fri 19-Oct-12 10:00:06

I collected my child from school yesterday she came out with what I thought was a braslet, when walking home with her friend and brother (and myself) she came to me all tearer saying she needs to wash her mouth so as soon as we got in I washed her mouth, because by need it was going red and she was really crying, I was wondering what the hell was going on to be honest them I noticed this braslet was a 'glow stick' the she had bitten it in the way home, she also told me she has swallow some to, she was really crying and saying her mouth jn n out was string, I gave her a cup of milk and phoned the Nhs advice line which told me how to look after her n so on, it all claimed down after 30 mins, but the lady in the line asked me if any of the glass in the glow stick had got out grin I looked at it closely and in the slits that she had bitten there was glass, I was furious. She's fine now and I've kept an eye on her and the lady on the phoned gave me lots of advise. I went up to the school this morning to find out why she had this glow stick n why wasn't I told, the teacher that gave her the stick wasn't there but I asked to see the packet, which turns out that be in a treat box for children that have done good work, on the packet it dose state that "this is not a toy, must be kept out of reach of children, and must be supervised at all times, contains hazed liquids and glass" so why are the school giving these things to my 5 year old daughter and other children!

invisblelink Fri 19-Oct-12 10:00:57

The face isn't a smile it's a shock sad

BoysBoysBoysAndMe Fri 19-Oct-12 10:03:01

I think there's wrong on both sides here tbh.

They shouldn't have given them out and your dd shouldn't have bitten it.

It was an avoidable accident.

What has the school said?

DameEnidsOrange Fri 19-Oct-12 10:07:11

Thing is she was under adult supervision - yours, when she bit it.

Agree with Boys

ObiWan Fri 19-Oct-12 10:09:26

I'm not sure what I'd do beyond telling my 5 yo not to bite things that are not food.

It would be a rare child who had not come across those glow sticks before, and I wouldn't have any problem with them being given out in school.

I suppose you could ask that your child not be given this particular toy, but I wouldn't go in demanding that they are banned, or before you know it you'll end up with the kind of school that bans conkers. grin

invisblelink Fri 19-Oct-12 10:31:32

I wasnt even told she had this item by anyone, every mum I've spoken to this morning have said there child would of put this in their mouths too. The packet say 'not a toy' why give it to a child? The Nhs lady said they resevie 300 calls a year from glow stick. The school teacher I did spoke to this morning wasn't even aware they contain glass!

zombieplanmum Fri 19-Oct-12 10:37:59

I hate those bloody glow sticks - they were given out as "prizes" at my DDs school disco last year, they had some sort of coating on them that my DD reacted to and it made her eyes sore, so she spent most of the school disco wailing in the school toilets while i tried to soothe her eyes, it was only when other children started doing the same thing that a TA realised that the glow sticks were responsible.

I am a bit incredulous tbh that anyone would think YABU, in fact i was under the understanding that actually, these were no longer allowed in schools, thankfully our school has seen sense and banned them!

invisblelink Fri 19-Oct-12 11:03:26

I've been to the local supermarket and had a look at a packet of the glow sticks and most say 8+ some say 6+ but my daughter is only 5 (was five in August) so why dose school see fit to give these my child :'(
My daughter explained why see put it in her mouth, she said when she first got it teacher said you crack it to make it light up, but the light went out and she tried to crack it but with no luck so she tried with her teeth, that's when the liquid went into her mouth sad she said it felt really painful, string and burning, my poor baby.

BoysBoysBoysAndMe Fri 19-Oct-12 12:33:33

I think the best thing to do for now is just let the teacher know you don't want a glow stick to be given to your dd in future.

It may have been bad judgement on the teachers behalf but they're only human and I'm sure she would never have given it to your dd had she thought she would bite it.

calypso2008 Fri 19-Oct-12 20:52:25

I think this is totally dreadful.

My DD (4) also would have bitten it, I am sure. But there is no way my school would have given these out.

You are totally normal to feel outraged. I'd be into the heads office Monday and put in an official complaint.

What has this got to do with banning conkers? Conkers are not potentially REALLY harmful to a child.

Poor OP and poor OP's daughter.

duchesse Fri 19-Oct-12 21:10:39

I'm sorry but why on earth was your daughter biting something like that? What a bizarre thing for a 5yo to do. And agree with DameEnid, she was under your supervision when she did it.

MrsPnut Fri 19-Oct-12 21:16:31

The liquid from a glow stick doesn't burn your mouth (I know this from ingesting it by accident), but why does your 5 year old not know about not putting things in their mouth!

Once cracked they last for at least 12 hours so your daughters explanation is a little confused.

LynetteScavo Fri 19-Oct-12 21:18:37

5 year olds put things in their mouths and bite them...hair, sleeves, bit's of cotton they've found on the floor. Gross, but fact.

I think it was a genuine oversight on the part of the teacher. gGow sticks are commonly found in party bags, etc...people genuinely don't realise how grim they are.

But I also think you should have had a look at what it was. If you didn't realise at a glance it was a glow stick, then I don't think you can be too angry with the teacher for not realising how harmful they can be.

5madthings Fri 19-Oct-12 21:33:33

well she was with you when she did it, my boys love glow sticks but i am very strict on the not near your face/eyes/mouth etc and i dont let them take them to bed as ds3 broke one in bed once and it stained the sheets horribly.

kids love them, but yes care does need to be taken with them. i didnt know they had glass in them actually, i thought it was just liquid but we have only ever broken the one of them. they are dirt cheap in poundland and good for party bags and they are given out at the schoool discos here, (tho parents are informed that each child attending the disco will be given a glo stick so i guess you could choose to opt out)

some kids do put things in their mouths but i would see this as a lesson to your dd that she shouldnt put stuff in her mouth.

it was just an accident, you have raised it with the school who if they stil give them out can then be sure to say to the children NOT to put them in their mouths/near their face etc.

and yes the 'glow' lasts for about 12hrs, i imagine it wasnt dark enough for her to see the glow properly? hence her trying to crack it again.

i guess if you ahve never seen a glow stick/bracelt before you wouldnt recognise what it is, but they are common place in party bags!

colditz Fri 19-Oct-12 21:35:08

These things are perfectly safe if they aren't chewed. You have to chew them really quite hard to break them.

colditz Fri 19-Oct-12 21:37:51

Conkers are harmful if children put them in their mouths.

Boiled sweets are harmful if children put them in their mouths.

Almost everything except a sterile teething ring can be harmful if children put them in their mouths.

My six year old would have been asked why on earth he thought it was ok to chew a bracelet, and what did he think would happen?

yousankmybattleship Fri 19-Oct-12 21:40:09

How is it the school's fault exactly? Glow sticks are only unsafe if used irresponsibly which she did while in your care.

calypso2008 Fri 19-Oct-12 21:42:27

This child is only just 5, a few months ago. Not 6.
Children do put things in their mouths. Correct.
Everything can be harmful, of course.
A bloody glow stick with glass, full of crap which works when you snap it is a supremely stupid and irresponsible thing to give a 5 year old.

But you carry on with your conkers you 'reasonable' lot.

Depending on who posts and their style you choose which way to go. It is crap frankly. A 5 year old at SCHOOL, not a party, should not have been given this.

coldcupoftea Fri 19-Oct-12 21:47:40

YANBU- the school gave her something that was age innapropriate, as specified on the packet! I think all the posters saying it is the OP's fault as she was in her care are being a bit harsh.

5madthings Fri 19-Oct-12 21:48:52

ds4 is in reception and his classroom has a sign up asking parents to bring in conkers! shall i tell them they are being irresponsible grin

sorry but by age 5 a child should know not to put stuff in their mouths, yes they still do occasionally but you then reinforce the message that they shouldnt!

incidentally my ds3 when he was 6 ate a magnet! after taking him to a&e so he could be x-rayed to check it was only ONE magnet and therefore ok to leave to pass [boak] he got a bollocking from me, i said to the nurse if the magnet didnt kill him i would! he was old enough to KNOW better! oddly enough we have had no more incidents of him eating/putting innapropriate items into his mouth!

5madthings Fri 19-Oct-12 21:49:36

the ones i bought from poundland (a tube of about 20?) say for 3 and over, but with supervision.

Bicnod Fri 19-Oct-12 21:53:45

Agree with Calypso.

School should not have given these out or should at least have told you they had done so.

She's only 5 poor little mite, how many 5 year olds do as they've been told all the time?

duchesse Fri 19-Oct-12 22:58:40

My 3yo knows not to put random things in her mouth. None of my 4 have ever mouthed things at that age. I am aghast that people think it normal for 5 yos to put random objects in their mouths.

LynetteScavo Sat 20-Oct-12 10:59:48

I have spent the morning telling my 7yo to stop chewing on the bit you blow up a beach ball with. OK, it is supposed to go in your mouth, but not to be chewed on. She's not normally a chewer, so I can see how the OP didn't expect her DD to chew the "bracelet".

Asmywhimsytakesme Sat 20-Oct-12 11:03:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now