Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Something pathetically insignificant is causing me almost intolerable pain :(

(9 Posts)
chaosisawayoflife Thu 18-Oct-12 18:56:02

I have a few cysts on my scalp, some bigger than others. The biggest one has been checked by my gp and is benign and won't be removed on the nhs. Anyway, a couple of days ago dd1 was playing hairdressers hmm and knocked a tiny little bump of a cyst with a wide tooth comb. It hurt a bit at the time but over the last couple days it has got more and more painful, and now it's agony. It hurts if my hair is up, if it's down, if I smile or move or anything. It's actually making me want to cry a little bit.
Dd2 was 9lb and I had her with no pain relief at all, so I don't have a low pain threshold, but this is killing me. Any ideas on what this is and if it's going to get better on its own? I'll feel ridiculous going to the gp with this, dh had a look and he said all he could see was a tiny lump with a little dried blood on it. It honestly feels like I have a broken skull!

Elibean Thu 18-Oct-12 19:04:10

If it hurts that much, it could be infected?

Go to the GP. Go on. I'll hold your hand and curse him/her if he/she laughs, I promise smile

youarewinning Thu 18-Oct-12 19:09:26

Go to the GP. Ignore the cries of the NHS not removing them. I have a cyst behind my ear that fills/ drains etc etc over and over. Its been there 4 years and sometimes gets infected - and my god the pain is unbearable.

My GP said with the hmm look that they aren't removed on the NHS anymore so has referred me to an NHS treatment centre which is privately run. (Care UK). Its just that the NHS are contracting out their work loads now. I have an apointment on 5th November.

Get ye to the Dr's grin

chaosisawayoflife Thu 18-Oct-12 19:19:40

I just went to have a little look at it myself a when I touched it a load of puss came out and it's now bleeding. sad. I'm hoping the fact that it has exploded means it's getting better, but at the moment it's even more painful than it was. I'll make an appt in the morning if it's no better. Thanks for the hand holding, I hate going to the gp at the best of times, I always worry that they'll think I'm wasting their time or being a hypochondriac.

TheLightPassenger Thu 18-Oct-12 19:22:02

Definitely get it looked out if the pain continues, with this sort of injury I take the view that I have no medical training, so how am I to know for sure if something is infected and/or requires antibiotics.

PfftTheMagicDraco Thu 18-Oct-12 19:33:22

You are in terrible pain. Go back to the GP and don't leave until you get some help!

thegreylady Thu 18-Oct-12 20:49:10

It sounds like an abcess to me.I would ring OOH now it sounds as though it needs attention urgently.

chaosisawayoflife Fri 19-Oct-12 19:21:58

Thanks everyone. Been to the gp, he said it's infected probably down to the bone. He's given me strong anti biotics and strict instructions to go back on Monday if no improvement. Now just need to brave myself for a lovely bout of thrush which I always get on abs, oh, and dodgy tummy in bf dd!

chaosisawayoflife Fri 19-Oct-12 19:22:40

* brace, not brave, although I suppose either is appropriate!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now