Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Think I have a prolapse :'(

(42 Posts)
Cheekychops84 Thu 18-Oct-12 13:54:51

My baby was born on 5th of August at 8lb 13 so pretty hefty . During my pregnancy and after the birth I can feel a lump pertruding from my lady bits blush it's not painful and I'm not incontinent well not that I've noticed anyway. I'm to scared to have sex as its embarrassing I jus don't think there is any point if I've got bits hanging out sad i didn't mention it to the GP I know I should have but I'm fed up showing my bits to drs ! Does anyone have any experience of this righting itself over time? I have been doing pelvic floors to no avail . Tia

littlebird3 Thu 18-Oct-12 14:04:07

Did you have your post natel check ? They would have said if they saw anything to worry about.I have 3 dcs & also have this 'bulge'.very hard to get rid of with pelvic floor exercises but I doubt your other half will be bothered about it ! =D

Cheekychops84 Thu 18-Oct-12 14:11:25

Hi little bird thanks so much for your reply! Yes have had check but she didn't look down there as I had no stitches or anything? This is also third DC. It feels like a lump actually at the opening rather then inside ?

thing1andthing2 Thu 18-Oct-12 14:15:21

I have a low down bulge on the back wall of my vagina. I went to see a woman GP who diagnosed a rectocele (posterior vaginal wall prolapse). After a 2nd pregnancy I was referred to a gynae and he said it was most likely that the muscles tore during my first birth (only a 7lb 2 tiddler) and weren't repaired properly. So I'm having a cut and restitch in November and it will hopefully sort it out.
Where is your bulge? Front or back?

Cheekychops84 Thu 18-Oct-12 14:21:25

It's like a inch lump at the front ?

Cheekychops84 Thu 18-Oct-12 14:22:38

It's actually out of the opening sad

littlebird3 Thu 18-Oct-12 15:37:40

Maybe just get it checked by doctor but if you are not having any pain or incontinence problems they just tell you to do pf exercises, in my experience anyway. Mine is top & bottom & worse on the bottom when I need a poo ! The joys of motherhood!

cocolepew Thu 18-Oct-12 15:44:25

Go to your Dr. Don't be embarassed and don't put it iff. The longer you do the worse it will get (if it is a prolapse) and the waiting times to be seen can be horrendous.
If it is out you can push it back in, but you must see your dr.

Cheekychops84 Thu 18-Oct-12 16:08:55

Ok I will get the courage to go but knowing my luck it will be a man dr

Shinyshinyface Thu 18-Oct-12 16:14:14

I remember having this for quite a long time after I had my DC3 (now 13)...would be worse around the time of my period too. I think it was like that for 2 or 3 years, I don't have it any more and I put that down to being much fitter now, not sure whether it's from years of doing abdominal exercise which hauled everything up or just the pilates that must have helped my pelvis floor (although I'm terrible at pelvis floor exercises on their own).

Hope you get a good response from GP.

oohdaddypig Thu 18-Oct-12 16:15:14

Hi cheekyshops

I have similar problem.

This might be WAY tmi...

Is it worse when you stand up? Mine is barely noticeable when I lie down so GP dismissed it as very minor. It's exactly like you describe yours though when I stand up. In fact it sounds like yours littlebird. Did you tear badly too? I had a third degree tear first time round. Feel like I don't know what to do - how did you get them to refer you thing?

Anyway, cheekychops I've not really helped, sorry, but I wanted to let you know I'm in the same position and to mention the whole worse when standing issue

cocolepew Thu 18-Oct-12 16:21:15

Have a look in general health there is a long running thread dealing with these type of problems it's 'Any old.....'

Cheekychops84 Thu 18-Oct-12 16:43:32

Still noticeable lying down but not as bad it's just annoying me now :really but I've heard surgery can actually make sex impossible not that I should b bothered mind as I can't face it anyway. I wasn't sure if it was prolapse tho as I don't have the incontinence thing ? Yes saw the long prolapse thread but it was too much chit chat and about their daily activities in between and it's 1000 post long .

oohdaddypig Thu 18-Oct-12 16:47:31

I know cheekchops I didn't really get into the prolapse thread either.

I don't have the incontinence bit either - in fact, mine is way better since having DC2 and my prolapse being worse. I think there is a theory that the pee gets trapped in the prolapsing bit so doesn't escape as easily shock

sex isn't impossible, it's just a bit, ermmmmm, odd

Cheekychops84 Thu 18-Oct-12 17:05:09

I'm amazed that the amount of women who actually have this problem yet little can be done about it? Ive ordered an electrical pelvic toner by tens hoping that may help a little bit with the sex part but for now I'm not doing the sex thing blush

LackaDAISYcal Thu 18-Oct-12 17:11:54

cheekychops, talk to the nurses at your gp practice; they will know which doctor is most sympathetic to wimmins ishoos.

I'm going through the process at the minute here, and from what I can see it varies enormously on the local health authority how it is treated and how quickly you get sorted.

My rectocele is being investigated by a bottom man in a couple of weeks (oo-er), and I've been referred to physio for the cystocele. This was dx'd as minor, but it was examined lying down and with an empty bladder, which I'm less than happy about, but I'm stuck in the cogs of the NHS wheel now.

Tangointhenight Thu 18-Oct-12 17:25:22

cheekychops I could have written your thread, though I had a baby last year. I have a protruding lump, I can't wear tampons as they fall out and sex is pointless because I feel nothing. I've had recurring bouts of thrush and infections down there so I have bit the bullet and requested to see a female doctor next week, she sees wimmins bits everyday so I keep reminding myself that!
Just book an appointment honestly, you don't want to get to the stage I'm at over a year later.

KennethParcell Thu 18-Oct-12 17:31:45

Despite my screen name I am female. I am wondering if not getting an orgasm any more is a first sign of this. I reach a point where it's the peak but it's pathetic. I am doing pelvic floor exercises. Three holds of ten seconds, the going up in the lift and the ten quick clenches. Doing those about three times a day, well for a few days .....

oohdaddypig Thu 18-Oct-12 17:34:35

HI Kenneth, Nice talking about prolapses with you grin

I can still orgasm. I've given up with the pelvic floor exercises as didn't help and I feel like it's going to take more than a few twitching muscles to shift it. But maybe it affects orgasms for some people. Sorry, It's crap.

Anyone had any luck getting rid of it? My GPs were both TOTALLY disinterested.

KennethParcell Thu 18-Oct-12 17:34:41

ps when I first started exericising i had to wear a ST because of pee leaking out, in time to the star jumps! but that has got much better. my symptom is more ... that motivation to have sex obviously, well, there used to be more in it for me. blush

KennethParcell Thu 18-Oct-12 17:36:01

If it turns out I've done all this clenching for nothing........ that's it. I'm off to nunnery.

sparklingsea Thu 18-Oct-12 17:43:03

I have this problem also. Mine is a bulge at the back which really protrudes inside my vagina when I need a poo, I often have to push back on it with my thumb so I can go, I hate it! I have seen a gynae about it who assured me it wasn't too bad, my youngest is 5 now and I have done tons of pilates and it has not improved significantly. This thread reminds me that i should get it checked out again.

Cheekychops84 Thu 18-Oct-12 17:44:43

I do pelvic floors but don't have much sensation blush

Cheekychops84 Thu 18-Oct-12 17:46:27

Oh dear y are we all suffering sad they wouldn't tell druggies that their condition isn't that bad ! I'm still in my 20's and feel I should be in my 80's

LonelyLinda Thu 18-Oct-12 17:55:07

Helloooooo, I have had this problem on and off since the birth of my second giant DC 3 years ago.

Since he was born I had the heavy feeling, iykwim, I saw my gp who thought it was a prolapse although not actually out (internal - pelvic wall collapse or something similar). I went to the Gynae Consultant when DS was FOUR WEEKS OLD and he charmingly informed me it would help if I LOST SOME WEIGHT!!! How I didn't lamp him I don't know.

Anyway after lots of pelvic floor exercises it did get a lot better. Constipation contributes to the problem as any (TMI) pushing causes it to be nearly pushing out.

My ongoing problem is exercise makes it worse. I'm a normal weight so weight isn't the issue but wanting to lose a few pounds and definitely tone up I took up running but had to give up after a couple of months as it gave me the heavy feeling and felt like something was pushing out. I started the gym doing general exercise classes and again got the heavy feeling as though something was pushing out. When this happens i think that if I continued exercising then it will actually come out, I just stop in time when the feeling starts.

I am going to start to do yoga and pilates which is supposed to be good for this. Also the pelvic floor exercises helped me. I was referred to a pelvic physiotherapist nurse who was fantastic for me advice wise and also mindset.

Can I please say OP that all of the GP's, nurses etc that I saw were amazingly supportive and helpful (other than the Consultant I saw). My GP said that intercourse is absolutely fine in circumstances like this and if anything, it actually pushes it back in (!!!!).

Sorry for such a long post but it is an ongoing part of my life and nobody talks about it, you cant' get info from the internet and it's kind of unspoken. I was thinking of starting a thread of my own yesterday so i'm pleased to see some people to share conversation with about this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now