Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

heavy period at 12yr old

(5 Posts)
singingmum Thu 18-Oct-12 12:27:21

My Dd is having her second period and I'm just looking for advice/reassurance. She started this one exactly 4 weeks after her first finished. I noticed that her first one was slightly heavier than I expected but ok, this one is so much worse.
She has flooded last night, and the night before and she's in pain. She's having a stay in bed watching dvd day as she was really upset (HE so no school concerns thankfully) and I just think she needs to chill out a bit.
I'm prob worrying unnecessarily but I just feel a bit worried as she's got drama and things to go to tomorrow and I don't want it causing her to miss out. I have heavy periods due to hormone imbalance from reaction to pill injection before I had my dd and I'm getting so worried that its had a knock on effect
Any advice/reassurance appreciated

singingmum Thu 18-Oct-12 13:42:23

Just realised should have put a tmi on this sorry

PurplePidjin Thu 18-Oct-12 13:55:57

I had heavy periods when i first started (nearly 20 years ago so things might have moved on a bit!) mefenamic acid was good, it's prescription only and can be started a few days before you're due once a pattern gets established.

It really got sorted once my mum got me on the pill at 15 - we'd both had enough of 2 days off school plus puking every few months by then! There were some very weak dosage ones available even then, iirc i started on one that blocked androgens and it helped with my acne. Contraception was a useful side effect smile

QTPie Thu 18-Oct-12 14:40:26

I am sure itbis nothing "really worrying", but it might be something that she can get help with (like the PP said).

Talk to your DD first - since she is likely be be really uncertain and shy about it - and say that you are not worried about it at all, but think that the doctor might be able to help give her some medicine to make them more manageable. Then take her to a NICE FEMALE GP (not something a 12 year o,d wants to discuss with a man....)

Walnutcakelover Thu 18-Oct-12 15:07:06

I had the same thing when I was 11, periods would last for 6 weeks, then I would become severely aneamic and would need a blood transfusion. In the end I was put on the pill, which resolved the problem. When I was about 20, I came off the pill and my periods became normal and I have been fine ever since, am 33 now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now