Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Odd question - when you have a hysterectomy, your cervix is removed too, right?

(6 Posts)
QTPie Wed 17-Oct-12 21:31:18

Just had a conversation with my mum and she thinks that her cervix is prolapsing again (and effecting her bladder). She had a hysterectomy almost 30 years ago. Isn't the cervix part of the uterus? Don't they take it too? I was quite surprised.

ToothbrushThief Wed 17-Oct-12 21:34:18

They leave it with a sub total op. The vagina can prolapse into the bladder wall as well

TamekaCupcake Wed 17-Oct-12 21:35:09

There are different types of hysterectomy.

Total hysterectomy: the womb and cervix (neck of the womb) are removed; this is the most commonly performed operation

Subtotal hysterectomy: the main body of the womb is removed leaving the cervix in place

Total hysterectomy with bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy: the womb, cervix, fallopian tubes (salpingectomy) and the ovaries (oophorectomy) are removed

Radical hysterectomy: the womb and surrounding tissues are removed, including the fallopian tubes, part of the vagina, ovaries, lymph glands and fatty tissue.

QTPie Wed 17-Oct-12 22:21:54

Thank you both very much - wow, complicated sad

So women (including my Mum) go through so much with their reproductive organs - men have it so blooming easy in comparison sad

TamekaCupcake Wed 17-Oct-12 23:03:51

I hope she manages to get it sorted out,

x

QTPie Wed 17-Oct-12 23:18:32

Thanks. She has a very rough time (lots of IBS, some very serious cystitis, lung cancer two years ago)....

Still, I am hoping that she can get herself checked out for endometriosis type scarring (ie whether she has effected her bowel) at the same time: I just got diagnosed with endometriosis last weekend (and I know it is likely to be genetic). Ok she has had a hysterectomy, but did have HRT for 10+ years and I wonder whether maybe endometriosis caused scarring/adhesions that may still effect her bowel.

Don't think that I want to get old - not if I have half of her problems sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now