Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

10 month old has developed patches of dry skin - recommendations?

(7 Posts)
Crimebusterofthesea Wed 17-Oct-12 19:49:09

10 month old DS has developed small patches of dry skin on the back of his neck and shoulders. I plan to take him to the GP tomorrow, but I just thought I would get the advice from the wise ones! Anyone got any recommendations for a nice soothing, natural cream that will work wonders? It isn't bothering him at all, but I have noticed that he has one very small patch on his leg tonight so I'm worried it will continue to get worse. TIA

HumphreyCobbler Wed 17-Oct-12 19:51:53

aveeno is v good, made from oats and doctors will prescribe it

just don't let anyone give you aqueous cream, it is scented and actually very bad for making flare ups worse, but for some reason lots of doctors are very attached to it.

Crimebusterofthesea Wed 17-Oct-12 19:57:23

Thanks Humphrey - I like the sound of something made from oats! I never knew that about aqueous cream, interesting!

findmeintheflowerbed Thu 18-Oct-12 21:47:18

Oilatum do a kid's cream which I used on DS when he had patches of dry skin at around 7 months. His dry bits were on his legs so I would put a layer of the cream on after the bath (no soap), then pjs, then zipped up in a growbag...took about four days to really go back to normal.
He still gets bits of dry skin and I use the same cream. It's very mild (I have used it on his face with no problems) and has no scent. I got it in Boots. Might help your little one if you don't find anything else.

Pancakeflipper Thu 18-Oct-12 21:49:44

Aveeno - I would try that and you can use it yourself during the Winter months.

Crimebusterofthesea Fri 19-Oct-12 07:59:31

Couldn't get a GP appt until next week so have ordered some Aveeno online, annoying as it was quite expensive! Just don't want it to get any worse and it should be here tomorrow. Ill have a look for the Oilatum too!

DS's excema cleared up when we stopped bathing him so often. We got doprobase (sp?) from the doctor but it is really thick and greasy and smells awful - double base is better.

Although I know of someone who successfully treated it with baths in oat 'milk' - they put oats in a bag of water, left it for a while, strained the oats out and put the water in with the bath

Hope you have some luck with the cream you've bought

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now