Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Why do I need to repeat a blood test I had last week?

(8 Posts)
reastie Wed 17-Oct-12 14:09:11

I'm getting worried now hmm . I had a fasting blood test last Thursday, got a letter today saying I need to do a repeat blood test but this time non fasting - does anyone know why this might be?

I went to the GP as I drink a huge amount of water a day (6-7 litres) and so had various thyroid/diabetes tests done. Why do they need another non fasting sample when they have a fasting one? Have tried ringing surgery but the doctors secretary (who sorts out blood tests) only answers the phone certain hours every day and I missed the hours.

rockinhippy Wed 17-Oct-12 14:14:41

All sorts of reasons - maybe a borderline test result so they need to double check, maybe they even lost or contaminated it - I've had that happen & had to retest.

I'm presuming a Diabetes test as thats usually a fasting one & would fit with the thirst issues, if its a borderline result you can turn things around with diet anyway - I had that some 20 years ago - both DPs diabetic along with lots of other family members & bar borderline tests way back, my results are fine, so try not to worry

HTH

reastie Wed 17-Oct-12 14:17:29

Thanks. I assume the diabetes was OK though or it would have to be fasting again - that's why I'm muddled as before it was fasting, not it's not hmm

rockinhippy Wed 17-Oct-12 14:30:08

They also do whats called a "random blood test" for diabetes, which is a none fasting one & theres another I forget the name of, something like ABg1 or similar - my last 2 diabetes tests haven't been fasting ones

reastie Wed 17-Oct-12 14:50:35

Thanks. Finally got through to someone at the surgery and apparently my iron levels are too low. Don't know why I need to retest as surely if they're low they're low, I don't need to check it again to find they're low! But will get it done again.

Tbh it doesn't surprise me as I have a copper coil which makes my periods really heavy. That is nothing to do with initially why I went to the GP though!

rockinhippy Wed 17-Oct-12 15:05:08

THIS STUFF

Is a great natural easily digested super food supplement packed full of iron - more than Liver etc & won't bung you up as the GPs stuff will - get the compressed pill form though, the powder is foulenvy

Milliways Wed 17-Oct-12 17:37:41

I had my 3rd test in 3 weeks today!

I had full blood tests some weeks back, came back with raised inflammatory markers and low folate. Talked about diet etc, repeat in a few weeks which I did. They came back different inflammatory markers raised and folate so low it may have been a duff sample - repeat. Had repeat test, inflammatory markers now normal, folate still low so getting a referral BUT they forgot to test for coeliac so please can I go for a 4th test, which I had today!

EverybodyWalkTheDinosaur Fri 19-Oct-12 17:15:31

Rockinhippy it's a HbA1c

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now