Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Why do I need to repeat a blood test I had last week?

(8 Posts)
reastie Wed 17-Oct-12 14:09:11

I'm getting worried now hmm . I had a fasting blood test last Thursday, got a letter today saying I need to do a repeat blood test but this time non fasting - does anyone know why this might be?

I went to the GP as I drink a huge amount of water a day (6-7 litres) and so had various thyroid/diabetes tests done. Why do they need another non fasting sample when they have a fasting one? Have tried ringing surgery but the doctors secretary (who sorts out blood tests) only answers the phone certain hours every day and I missed the hours.

rockinhippy Wed 17-Oct-12 14:14:41

All sorts of reasons - maybe a borderline test result so they need to double check, maybe they even lost or contaminated it - I've had that happen & had to retest.

I'm presuming a Diabetes test as thats usually a fasting one & would fit with the thirst issues, if its a borderline result you can turn things around with diet anyway - I had that some 20 years ago - both DPs diabetic along with lots of other family members & bar borderline tests way back, my results are fine, so try not to worry

HTH

reastie Wed 17-Oct-12 14:17:29

Thanks. I assume the diabetes was OK though or it would have to be fasting again - that's why I'm muddled as before it was fasting, not it's not hmm

rockinhippy Wed 17-Oct-12 14:30:08

They also do whats called a "random blood test" for diabetes, which is a none fasting one & theres another I forget the name of, something like ABg1 or similar - my last 2 diabetes tests haven't been fasting ones

reastie Wed 17-Oct-12 14:50:35

Thanks. Finally got through to someone at the surgery and apparently my iron levels are too low. Don't know why I need to retest as surely if they're low they're low, I don't need to check it again to find they're low! But will get it done again.

Tbh it doesn't surprise me as I have a copper coil which makes my periods really heavy. That is nothing to do with initially why I went to the GP though!

rockinhippy Wed 17-Oct-12 15:05:08

THIS STUFF

Is a great natural easily digested super food supplement packed full of iron - more than Liver etc & won't bung you up as the GPs stuff will - get the compressed pill form though, the powder is foulenvy

Milliways Wed 17-Oct-12 17:37:41

I had my 3rd test in 3 weeks today!

I had full blood tests some weeks back, came back with raised inflammatory markers and low folate. Talked about diet etc, repeat in a few weeks which I did. They came back different inflammatory markers raised and folate so low it may have been a duff sample - repeat. Had repeat test, inflammatory markers now normal, folate still low so getting a referral BUT they forgot to test for coeliac so please can I go for a 4th test, which I had today!

EverybodyWalkTheDinosaur Fri 19-Oct-12 17:15:31

Rockinhippy it's a HbA1c

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: