Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Small white spots around eyes

(22 Posts)
18wksplus Tue 16-Oct-12 21:07:19

Have been getting these for a week or two now. I get one on one eye, which then moves to the other. Not painful unless they get in the corners of my eyes. They're small white little lumps. I thought it was my mascara so changed, with no effect. My daughter had one a few months ago, but it went away - these keep coming back...

Any advice? Will these just go away?

Am 21wks pregnant if that means anything.

mrscumberbatch Wed 17-Oct-12 00:43:53

I think what you have is called milia wiki link

It's not harmful and will hopefully just disappear in time. Children seem to grow out of it. You might find it is due to hormone changes in your body.

Could be worth mentioning to your GP though, just to be on the safe side.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Wed 17-Oct-12 00:46:31

I get quite a few of them when I am very tired, they're itchy and annoying! I went to the drs once and she gave me some ointment for them, but it was hard to apply it and even when I did it didn't seem to do much good. I just 'try' not to scratch them and they eventually go away.

CrikeyOHare Wed 17-Oct-12 00:46:56

Yep - Milia. Both me and DS get them. They are not harmful in the slightest - think of them as basically surface whiteheads.

A beautician can get rid of them if they are bothering you a lot.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Wed 17-Oct-12 00:48:47

Oh, the thing in that link wasn't what I get - mine are on the bit of the eye that 'seals' together when you close them.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Wed 17-Oct-12 00:49:34

Crikey - my friend has one of these and has been worrying about how to get rid of it and if it will scar - also how much it would cost... would you mind telling me?

CrikeyOHare Wed 17-Oct-12 00:57:32

I'm not too sure, Chipping but it's all part of the type of facial you can get where they squeeze out blackheads & whiteheads. I've had one of these, but ages ago.

I do know that removing them doesn't scar - because I remove my own all the time. I use a sterilised pin to break the skin and then squeeze it out. Doesn't hurt & there's no scar at all. Depends on how brave your friend is as to whether she could do this - and how steady her hand because, obviously, being so close to her eye she needs to be careful.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Wed 17-Oct-12 01:01:46

Oh blimey - I know if I tell her that, she'll ask me to do it for her [gulp] grin I feel a bit of 'doctoring' coming on!! <thanks for that... I think>

CrikeyOHare Wed 17-Oct-12 01:30:09

I feel highly irresponsible telling anyone to go near their eyes with a needle - and other MN-ers will be along to tell me off for it, quite rightly. But I genuinely do do my own, and have done for years.

And regularly get DS's off for him too

BUT - if she/you can't face it, a beautician will do it, in pretty much the same way I've described. Or if it's big, they use an aspirating needle which sucks the gunk out. No pain, no scar.

smile

ChippingInLovesAutumn Thu 18-Oct-12 00:13:03

As suspected she demanded asked that I 'give it a go' <sigh> I did it with a needle, it bleed a little (as it does when you stick a needle into a love body!!) but there didn't seem to be any gunk, fluid in there - it still seems white. I wonder if it's the same thing you're talking about? I don't suppose you have a link to what it looks like do you?

chocoluvva Thu 18-Oct-12 00:16:35

It's not a stye is it OP?
So sorry I don't know how to do links.
The advice for styes is to apply a hot wet facecloth to let the contents out.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Thu 18-Oct-12 00:17:58

Just googled Milia (I'd forgotton you said what it was called!) and hers doesn't look the same as those. They look quite 'spot' like, hers looks more 'spread out' and 'flatter' - any ideas?? No doubt she'll be back to Dr Chip over for a coffee tomorrow to have another treatment discuss it.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Thu 18-Oct-12 00:19:59

Choco - no, it's not a stye, it's not 'angry' or 'sore' in anyway, it just doesn't look very flattering. It's barely raised from the surface.

chocoluvva Thu 18-Oct-12 00:47:16

Hmmm. Milia are the only other thing I can think of but they're not usually itchy.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Thu 18-Oct-12 01:08:02

My eyes get itchy spots on them, on the 'soft' part right near the eye ball. My friends 'thing' isn't itchy, it doesn't hurt... it's just not attractive and it's making the skin look a bit 'baggy' - or it's drawing attention to the baggy skin that's there at least. It's flat, white and just under the skin... very odd.

CrikeyOHare Thu 18-Oct-12 01:09:46

Chipping Is hers quite yellowy? Because that might be a cholesterol deposit.

That looks like this:

www.healthhype.com/cholesterol-deposits-on-under-around-eyes-eyelids-pictures.html

Scroll down for pic.

What DS & I get look like this:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milium_(disease)

Brycie Thu 18-Oct-12 01:10:16

Crikey, I did that, right on my eyelid, as they're so aging aren't they. But it's not like a spot coming out, it's kind of much more solid. And so scary doing it right by the eye. And it really really hurts, and if you've got a lot of skin round your eyelid then quite frankly it's hard to get any purchase.

CrikeyOHare Thu 18-Oct-12 01:13:19

I've never done one that's actually on my eyelid, Brycie - too scary, even for me grin. But I've done loads under my eyes, and found it quite easy - they just tend to pop out for me, a bit like a whitehead. DSs did too - although he hasn't had any for a while.

Brycie Thu 18-Oct-12 01:15:01

I've just looked at your (excellent) links and mine was rather different - one white lump the size of a spot but no redness around. Just a white lump of fat. But I 'ad 'im.

CrikeyOHare Thu 18-Oct-12 01:33:52

I wonder if yours was more of a sebaceous cyst, Brycie? I currently have a sizeable one of those on my earlobe that I'm plucking up the courage to deal with.

I absolutely love squeezing things out blush. When DS was going through his really bad acne stage, I'd bribe him to let me spend an evening on his blackheads - he had loads. Heaven! grin

Brycie Thu 18-Oct-12 01:40:37

Oh maybe, I'll hav a look. Unfortunately my chidren are too keen on personal space. Selfish I call it.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Thu 18-Oct-12 09:16:13

Crikey - OOPS - yep, it's a Xanthelasma, it looks exactly like that one in the photo! I hope we haven't done any damamge. Gulp. She's not going to like being told it's a cholesterol lump.

Brycie grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now