Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I am dreading Xmas - i know this pain will return!!

(14 Posts)
moleskin Tue 16-Oct-12 18:36:17

For the last 3 xmas's ive being plagued with horrendous upper right abdomen pain. Last year I was in agony, I literally had to hobble to the pub 200 meteres away. I felt shit. I get it every birthday and every xmas so fairly sure its when I eat foods that are rich and high in fat.

Last year I got to the doctor, I cant remember the ins and outs as was in agony but he said he thought was probably a stone and booked me for a scan 2 weeks later by then pain had gone. Scan showed no stone and no anything! However in the 2 weeks waiting for the scan I woke one night in absolute agony. I had chosen to sleep on the sofa so as not to disturb DH and I was writhing in agony, I was crying I was in so much pain and I had a fever of 39 (sensibly Id taken the thermometer with me!) Unfortunatley DH being two floors up couldnt hear me calling for him and I couldnt move off the sofa. If I couldve moved then I wouldve rung a bloody ambulance I was in that much pain.

When this first started several years ago a doc did ask if it was trapped wind however Ive had this before (had two c-sections!) and know what it feels like and I can always shift trapped wind with Andrews salts and peppermint tea so it def wasnt that. I also could barely eat a thing without intense pain in my upper stomach and upper back.

Sorry this is an essay!!! I cannot go through another year like last year, we have family coming and I want to enjoy it! What do you guys suggest? Anyone been through similar??

Schrodingershamster Tue 16-Oct-12 18:41:14

Has your GP ruled out gallstones ? See here. I dont know much but it sounds very much like your symptoms.

moleskin Tue 16-Oct-12 18:45:02

thanks hamster yes they did a scan last xmas as he thought was a stone but scan showed no stones. He said it could be general gall stone inflammation but scan may not show this??!!!

Imnotaslimjim Tue 16-Oct-12 18:47:05

You need to go back and insist on more tests. It certainly sounds like gallstones, or gallbladder disease to me. Its becoming more and more common!

out2lunch Tue 16-Oct-12 18:48:42

i had a peptic ulcer that was like this - v easily treated

Schrodingershamster Tue 16-Oct-12 18:51:00

The NHS website even mentiones having attacks after eatin fatty food and a high temperature. I really think you should go back and push about this.

moleskin Tue 16-Oct-12 18:53:54

Thanks guys. I think i wont bother with GP next time I always worry that they will say its nothing and im wasting their time but i was in so much pain last time. I will have my phone permenantly attached to me this year and I will be going to the hospital at the slightest twinge. I can guarantee that by 5pm xmas day I will feel awful and I dont want to not eat my xmas puddings that ive already made!

MadgeHarvey Tue 16-Oct-12 22:37:19

Curious that it only happens at Christmas - do you overdo it on the scoffing at that time? It certainly sounds like a gallbladder issue to me. If you follow a sensible low fat diet except at Christmas that might explain it? What is your daily diet like?

moleskin Wed 17-Oct-12 07:53:00

My daily diet is fairly average I think could possibly have more fruit and veg and fish but its reasonably good and I'm not overweight. But I do like to do over indulge at xmas!!

BehindLockNumberNine Wed 17-Oct-12 07:58:52

Could you not overindulge? I mean, it is Christmas, I know it is supposedly the 'done thing', but if it leaves you in so much agony would it not be better to just cut back on the amount of rich foods you eat?
I would rather enjoy a more rationed meal at Christmas but feel well than overindulge and be writhing around in agony...

BehindLockNumberNine Wed 17-Oct-12 08:00:08

Pressed post to soon -

Wanted to add - of course you need to go and get this investigated, but in the meantime I would cut back a bit and see if the symptoms don't appear...

higgle Wed 17-Oct-12 13:21:14

Another vote for gallstones. Holidays in France set mine off ( all that cheese) My scan showed something akin to gravel in the gallbladder, not very much so I keep away from fatty foods except when I'm prepared to pay the (very painful) price.

tedhutchinson Wed 17-Oct-12 13:53:50

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our <a target="_blank" href="/info/netiquette" rel="nofollow">Talk Guidelines</a>. Replies may also be deleted.

Edofthe13prams Wed 17-Oct-12 13:58:17

Gallstones. Notoriously difficult to diagnose by ultrasound etc...but your symptoms are classic.

You should be given a referral for surgery asap - don't be fobbed off - it just means more pain and the possibility of it developing into pancreatitis which you do not want.

In the meantime while you wait you should be on a decent drug to help with the effects of what's going on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now