Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Advice on impetigo

(11 Posts)
fortoday Tue 16-Oct-12 16:48:02

just been to the doctors and my daughter has impertigo- it started as a tiny cut in her nose and due to her sucking her thumb with a blanket (which is washed every 2 days!!! hate the thing) it has spread/turned into impetigo.
To look at it it just looks like a sore up her nose.

when asked about school doctor said 'school is important so I would send her...' would you? She is not under the weather or anything.

Cloudminnow Tue 16-Oct-12 16:50:34

I was told to keep off work with it until I had taken the antibiotics for a couple of days, as it's still highly infectious before that.

SparkyTGD Tue 16-Oct-12 16:51:23

Noooooo, impetigo is very infectious, am amazed doc advised that.

Some kids will have skin issues and impetigo can really flare then.

DS had very bad patch when about 4yrs old, was off nursery for approx 2 weeks as his was very resistant to treatment.

RikersBeard Tue 16-Oct-12 16:54:55

When DS1 had it we were told to keep off until 48hrs of antibiotics given. And given a nhs fact sheet that said same.

It's v infectious, not usually serious but can be nasty for newborns etc. if streptococcal rather than staphylococcal it can in v rare cases cause v serious infections. I had a newborn at the time and whole family were given ABs as precaution to not pass it to the baby.

fortoday Tue 16-Oct-12 17:22:55

Thank you for info! I thought it was strange the gp just said that school was important! I was a bit 'er ok..' know how i would feel if someone brought an infected kid into school round my dd- its not nice plus, i doubt she is going to follow his advice of wasj=hing her hands frequenty at school!

Jemma1111 Tue 16-Oct-12 17:59:48

I've always thought impetigo can be easily transmitted through skin contact from an infected person , yet my friend believes its only spread to someone else if the infected person scratches themselves for example and touches someone who has a cut or open sore .

She thought I was over reacting when I said to her that children should be kept off school and away from friends if they had it , to avoid passing it on.

Who's right ?.

straighttohellymelly Tue 16-Oct-12 18:07:07

48 hours after antibiotic treatment is the normal advice.

Jemma1111 Wed 17-Oct-12 06:36:31

DorsetKnob Wed 17-Oct-12 06:50:48

DD has just had impetigo up her nose, she had the Friday off and the Monday off school, she had antibiotic cream but found that sudocream cleared it up really well.

fortoday Wed 17-Oct-12 09:22:16

jem- i have spoken to my school this morning and they have asked for her to stay off school for a couple of days to let the antibiotics take hold- doctor just said that unless she was rubbing her nose on open wounds the school was over reacting- don't know really- but it is contagious so as the school know she is at home- nightmare- as she is not ill and at 9.20am this morning is climbing the walls! x

dlady Wed 17-Oct-12 11:05:03

I kept my daughter off for the rest of the week, she started on the tuesday. The school gave me some work for her to do, to stop her getting bored as she wasn't actually feeling ill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now