Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is laryngitis always viral?

(4 Posts)
perceptionreality Tue 16-Oct-12 16:37:51

I've just been to the GP as I have this yet again (I seem to get either that or tonsillitis after a cold every time). He said that laryngitis is viral but that he would give me antibiotics anyway. So now I'm unsure whether to take them or not. They seem to have worked in the past though this could have been a coincidence.

didldidi Tue 16-Oct-12 16:46:43

well if you get it after a cold (as I always do too) then the chances are it's viral. With me it always clears up by itself and is not painful so I never bother going to the GP's.

CarpeJugulum Tue 16-Oct-12 17:01:02

From bitter experience, it can be either viral or bacterial...

For viral, my GP refuses to prescribe AB's as they won't do much, but will if it's bacterial.

perceptionreality Tue 16-Oct-12 17:34:11

Hmm, well I suppose it may be viral then. About 3 years ago I had swine flu and ever since then I always get either tonsillitis or laryngitis after every cold, even minor colds. It is most tiresome.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now