Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gallbladder Op and I'm becoming a nervous wreck - please help calm me down!

(6 Posts)
trickynicky Tue 16-Oct-12 12:32:34

This is ridiculous. I have been truly looking forward to having my gallbladder removed tomorrow. It has been a hideous journey and I cannot wait to get rid of the damn thing. However, today, I'm getting ready, packing my bag etc and I've been overwhelmed by nerves.

Firstly I got a bout of diarrhoea this morning (could be the gallbladder, could be nerves but I suspect the latter!).... am now sitting here feeling really, really nauseous and dizzy.... "worrying" head is saying that I'm actually going down with something and the op may be cancelled, "sensible" head is saying that's crap and I need to grow a set as it's clearly my nerves....

Cannot believe I'm responding like this to an operation but I'm terrified of being sick after the operation (I have a phobia) and the idea of puking in front of anyone makes me......feel.......sick.........bloody hell....

OMG, irrational thoughts are driving me insane. I need some calm, sensible thoughts from someone please!!

AvonCallingBarksdale Tue 16-Oct-12 13:09:55

I had mine removed a few years ago. I'd bene in agony for months and months. I also have a phobia of operations and the nurses gave me a couple of tamazepam to calm me down beforehand, which was great. It was done keyhole and about 55 stones removed! I went home the same day and it took me about 2 weeks to recover completely. I was very sore and felt quite sick, although I wasn't actually sick. Fast-forward to today, and I do keep an eye on rich/fatty foods in my diet, as I don't tolerate them very well, but that's probably no bad thing as they're not exactly good for you! All in all, it's a 100% success, and just think, you'll never have to endure that awful pain again! Good luck.

kinelle Tue 16-Oct-12 13:19:29

Hi Nicky. Who wouldn't be a little(?) worried by the thought of surgery. What you are describing sounds like how I feel before I go to hospital. Avon has a really positive story from her gallbladder removal. This time tomorrow you will be through the other side. Good luck....don't worry about the worrying, it is perfectly normal, and fwiw i really wish I didn't do it either.

trickynicky Tue 16-Oct-12 13:42:20

Thanks so much to you both. I feel such a wimp! I really thought I'd breeze through it. When I went for the pre-op the nurse told me that often people are in tears just as they go into anaesthetics and I said "not me, I'll be running down the corridor to the operating room"!! HOW WRONG I WAS! Avon- lovely to hear a positive story, thank you. I desperately want rid of this whole gallbladder saga so I know it's the best thing all round....Deep breaths...

AvonCallingBarksdale Tue 16-Oct-12 14:04:15

Ahh, you'll be fine trickynicky Just keep remembering how absolutely hideous gallbladder pain is and, like flicking a switch, you will not have that pain any more. Don't worry about being nervous - honestly if I can do it, anyone can! I'll be sending you good luck vibes for tomorrow, adn if you feel panicky, just breathe slowly and keep telling yourself the end result will be fabulous.

RichTeaAreCrap Tue 16-Oct-12 17:08:26

You will be fine trickynicky and I think its normal to be feeling nervous before the op.

Why dont you ask for an anti sickness injection. I hate being sick infront of anyone and generals always make me sick. I always tell them now and they always give me an injection while I am still under. I am never sick now when I come round from an op. It would probably help you relax about it a bit.

Good luck tomorrow, it will be so worth it for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now