Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any dentists. Question about tooth removal/dentures

(4 Posts)
horribleteeth Mon 15-Oct-12 20:05:59

I've name changed for this as I'm so embarrassed.

My teeth are in a terrible state. I have awful gum disease and I've neglected my teeth for years. I'm so ashamed.

I have a 3 week old baby and this last pregnancy has made my teeth much worse. A few years ago I went to the dentist and had some treatment... a couple of fillings and a gold inlay. I was meant to go back and finish treatment but I didn't. I am a twat.

My bottom front 2 teeth are rotten. They are really loose and they look terrible. They are starting to hurt now too.
If I can pluck up the courage to go to the dentist I'm sure they will say the teeth need removing. I know I need more work doing but this is the most pressing matter for me.

If they remove the teeth will they fit a temporary denture straight away? I'm petrified of being toothless and having to wait for dentures. I know this sounds stupid because I'm in danger of them falling out anyway!!

Please help calm me down!

bonzo77 Mon 15-Oct-12 22:07:47

dentist here. No reason at all why they cannot fit a denture straight away. I normally would as I don't want my clients walking out looking or feeling worse than when they come in. The denture will be a temporary measure, because your gums will shrink back a bit over the next few weeks / months especially if you have had gum disease, leaving a bit of a gap. While the shrinkage is happening you can try to sort everything else out and then discuss longer term options for your gap.

horribleteeth Tue 16-Oct-12 17:39:52

Thanks. Now to pluck up the courage for an appointment.

digerd Tue 16-Oct-12 18:01:18

I had a tooth out at the age of 38 at the bottom right at the front, not due to gum disease, but an abscess. I had a small denture and it lasted for more than 20 years. But if your gums are shrinking, it will be as your dentist said. My gums stated shrinking,25 years later, and i didn't realise it until one by one they rapidly became lose. And wish now i had had the loose teeth out earlier instead of holding on to them. Deep breath and go, good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now