Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

can cerazette cause high prolactin levels?

(9 Posts)
ohbloodynora Mon 15-Oct-12 16:49:01

Can cerazette or any other progesterone only pill cause high prolactin levels? I have been to my gp who has advised blood test as i am getting hormonal symptoms like milkfrom breasts and mood swings...
Any ideas?

ohbloodynora Mon 15-Oct-12 21:47:33

Bump

TheBigKidsDidIt Mon 15-Oct-12 23:04:36

Hmmm don't know but I have very very high prolactin and no one can find a reason. Mine was put down to opiate painkillers but have stopped them and still my levels are off the scale. i have been checked for a pituitary tumour - they may do that for you too (MRI scan - painless). I know anti depressants can raise levels too.

ohbloodynora Tue 16-Oct-12 20:12:36

Thank you for your reply. I am on citalopram, so maybe that's it...i haven't had blood results yet but I'll be surprised if they're normal.
I had an MRI back in May for something unrelated, do you think they'd do another?

TheBigKidsDidIt Tue 16-Oct-12 21:46:24

Yes, Citalopram, I think that can cause it. Was the MRI of your brain? Coz that's what you will need to look at the pituitary.

clucky80 Tue 16-Oct-12 21:53:53

I had very high prolactin levels and it was found that it was due to an anti nausea medication I have to take daily - metaclopramide. You don't take anything like that do you?

ohbloodynora Tue 16-Oct-12 22:13:56

Yes, the MRI was to check for a bleed but it turned out I had viral meningitis.
I don't take any other medication apart from cerazette and citalopram, I think either of those could cause some of my symptoms....mood swings, lactating, headaches, low libido.

TheBigKidsDidIt Tue 16-Oct-12 22:15:51

If you had an MRI in May I doubt they would do another one but they might re check it. Sorry about the meningitis - sounds like you are having a rough ride.

bet you it's the meds!

ohbloodynora Wed 17-Oct-12 07:19:49

Ah thanks smile
I'm sure they will get to the bottom of it soon, its just strange feeling so....pregnant !! I think I would like to change my pill anyway, I've had some unwanted side effects from that too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now