Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Piggybacking pain killers?

(8 Posts)
SlightlyJaded Mon 15-Oct-12 13:48:39

Am in bed with tonsillitis. I have penicillin but my throat is completely swollen and really tender to to the point where i cant even swallow my saliva. Which is nice

I also have bad headache, earache a temperature and muscles all hurt. <feels sorry for self> Soooo can I piggyback painkillers? I have been gargling then swallowing aspirin but it's not strong enough to make a huge difference and I wondered if I can maybe take two paracetamol then two hours later two ibuprofen and so on?

CrikeyOHare Mon 15-Oct-12 14:02:30

Yes, you can.

Make absolutely sure that the ibuprofen & paracetamol don't come mixed with anything else, and stop taking the aspirin.

Had to do exactly this last week to cope with toothache.

CrikeyOHare Mon 15-Oct-12 14:03:51

If swallowing is a nightmare, by the way, try Nurofen Meltlets & Calpol - hell of a lot easier on a sore throat than bloody great tablets!

SlightlyJaded Mon 15-Oct-12 14:04:29

Thanks Crikey. Toothache is the worst. Hope it's better now.

SlightlyJaded Mon 15-Oct-12 14:05:25

Oooh will send DH to chemist now
<excited>

sashh Tue 16-Oct-12 06:50:31

You don't even need the gap. Take them together if you need to.

HaveALittleFaith Tue 16-Oct-12 13:13:05

Yup they work differently so you'd be fine either way - alternating or having them both at the same time. I hope you feel better soon.

SlightlyJaded Tue 16-Oct-12 13:17:07

Thanks everyone. I am doing them in 2 hour alternate shifts and it's definitely taking the edge off.

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now