Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

MRI V X-Rays ?????

(6 Posts)
rockinhippy Mon 15-Oct-12 12:38:36

Would anyone know if any disc problems, ie I don't know really, but slight fracture etc would show up on an MRI scan, or would any bone damage only show on an Xray??

I ask as I've had numbness, tingling, pain, headaches(chronic migraine & chronic persistent headache diagnosis) , & related other problems for years - all put down to yet more symptoms of Fibromyalgia & M.E. which I've always questioned, but been fobbed off -

I have had an MRI scan, but never an Xray, thats despite 2 falls, whip lash injury & a weird accident where I was blown off my feet & into the air in a gale, I did bash my spine quite badly as I had to wrestle DDs buggy & myself back to the ground by clinging onto scaffolding - GP I had at the time of the falls/accident was awful - EVERYTHING was stress & I was a complainerhmm.

I ask as I was in Childrens A&E yesterday as my DD is recovering from a bad neck sprain & had tripped jarred herself & set off numbness in the side of her neck & headache amongst other things & I'd been told to take her back if anything like that happened.

Thankfully DD was okay, its all in the remit of her current injury & will just need more time, but the Doctor checking her explained the nerve pathways involved in a spinal neck injury, by way of explaining that where she had the numbness was the result of the damaged muscle & not something we needed to worry more about - however I realised that the pattern of nerve pain & numbness he did describe is exactly what I've been living with for years, so it got me wondering, hence my query here

TIA smile

Casserole Mon 15-Oct-12 13:24:09

Bone problems ie fractures, bone displacements etc would show up on an xray.

If you suspect disc stuff then an MRI would be the better option. Discs are made of soft tissue, and xrays can't pick that up generally.

rockinhippy Mon 15-Oct-12 13:28:34

Thank you Casserole smile

So would you know - does that mean that any minor bone damage won't show on an MRI & that it would need an Xray ??- I'm presuming any major damage would show up anyway & besides I'd be far worse than I am

Casserole Tue 16-Oct-12 17:15:52

It is possible that you would see bone damage on an MRI but also possible you wouldn't, depending on the type and location of damage.

Your numbness, pins and needles etc would more suggest to me either a trapped nerve or some sort of nerve impingement than bone damage. That could be caused by a disc problem - if a disc had ruptured slightly and was pressing on a nerve etc, or it could be that the nerve has become compressed further along.

szsxxxa35bta\tVQa

Casserole Tue 16-Oct-12 17:56:23

Whoops, sorry, DD posted for me!

Have you ever seen a chiropractor or an osteopath for it? That is exactly the sort of thing they are trained to diagnose.

doinmummy Tue 16-Oct-12 21:52:54

You can get tingling, headaches dizziness from neck probs. I would think that an MRI would have picked up any probs though. What part of your back did they scan?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now