Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help Constipation. sorry if tmi

(12 Posts)
Fluffypoms Sun 14-Oct-12 22:00:26

Hey

Have already done a couple of threads on palpitations.

Last time was in a&e mentioned to the dr that I haven't been going frequently and can sometimes feel gas bubbles in my stomach.
I have no pain as such but am really not comftable and bloated.

Anyway I had a xray of my abdomen and it showed that I have fecal impaction.
My gp prescribe me peppermint oil caps
Which did help a little But I don't think these have cleared what was already there.

I'm drinking tons of water and eating better foods. But does anyone know of anything else I can do to clear my bowels??

I am able to feel what's stuck by pressing on my abdomen. And also could this be what's causing me to have palpitations?

Any help and advice will be appricated.

Thanks in advance x

HuggleBuggleBear Sun 14-Oct-12 22:22:09

I found lactulose solution really good after I had a baby and was constipated.

Dried apricots also.

I haven't read your other threads on palpitations but from my understanding common caused of palpitations can be caffeine, anaemia, and anxiety. Have you been to the doctor about them?

Goldmandra Sun 14-Oct-12 22:28:49

Go to your GP. They can give you something like Movicol which will get things moving gently. You need to use it alongside a high fibre diet.

Flippityjig Sun 14-Oct-12 22:29:32

Prunes!

Haemadoots Sun 14-Oct-12 22:30:55

Laxido!

Fluffypoms Sun 14-Oct-12 22:49:44

Thank you will deffinatly try and get an appointment with the dr.

I feel so Rotten and bit worried.
I have seen the dr RE the palpitations and I am now on propranolol but still getting them.. Just want to know what's wrong with me and thought the 2 may be interlinked.

gingeroots Mon 15-Oct-12 09:37:53

Maybe the beta blocker is contributing to the constipation ?

You might find a chemist that will sell you Movicol over the counter ,I've bought it in past for elderly people .

I took these www.amazon.co.uk/Udos-Choice-Super-8-Probiotics/dp/B0036E5KG6/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1350290110&sr=8-8
because I felt I needed them after 3 courses of antibiotics and I found they really sorted my bowels out ( in sense of regular as opposed to constipation /diarroeah etc movements )

Good luck .

MadgeHarvey Mon 15-Oct-12 09:55:08

I second the dried apricots suggestion. For me Movicol was useless - very very slow to work but the apricots shifted a horrendous backlog in a few hours. Comprehensively.

ThoughtBen10WasBadPokemonOMG Mon 15-Oct-12 12:29:30

I have had this due to my meds. Lactulose, laxido/movicol, senna, prunes/apricots did nothing. I now take 750mg of magnesium (buy 250mg caplets from holland and barrett) but started with 500mg. It works wonders for me. If I miss it I definitely know. As I will be on these meds forever I'm pleased that I found a non-prescription solution.

gingeroots Mon 15-Oct-12 14:50:08

Yes I've found magnesium can certainly loosen you up .
I took some yesterday and have been on and off the loo since .

Fluffypoms Tue 16-Oct-12 18:35:09

Thank you all, I was give Movicol by my gp today so far I've taken 1 sachet twice but No movement as of yet!

How long does it take to kick in?
Anyone?

gingeroots Tue 16-Oct-12 18:41:46

Very gentle and slow .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now