Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ablation or hysterectomy. Can I choose my treatment if going private?

(6 Posts)
doglover Sun 14-Oct-12 18:56:41

I have a second consultant appopintment in a couple of weeks (very heavy periods due to fibroids) and wondered how much 'say' the patient has when selecting treatment? My preference at the moment - after extensive research on the NICE and British Fibroid Association website - is for the finality of the hysterectomy but can I state this directly? I'm au fait with the pitfalls of both procedures but am at the end of my tether with 'flooding' and its impact on my / family life. My reading about the ablation suggests that it isn't always successful and if I'm going to have something 'done', let's just have a permanent solution!

VivaLeBeaver Sun 14-Oct-12 19:04:27

I don't know if you'd get more of a say if you went private.

I had an ablation done and dr said he'd rather try that first. He pointed out that most people who have a hysterectomy start the menopause within 5 years even if their ovaries are left in. I didn't want to be taking hrt, putting weight on, etc in my 30s.

But I think ablation isn't always suitable depending on the size of your fibroids.

coffeeinbed Sun 14-Oct-12 19:06:38

Size and position of fibroids cane be of consideration.
Have you tried the Mirena?
That's usually suggested as well, as first option.

doglover Sun 14-Oct-12 19:07:12

Thanks, VLB. I'm 48 so the menopause is lurking .................. no symptons yet, though!!

VivaLeBeaver Sun 14-Oct-12 19:12:50

If I was 48 then yes I'd be asking for a hysterectomy. I suppose the drs only thought may be that it's a more serious operation.

doglover Sun 14-Oct-12 19:14:18

He did suggest but this isn't something that I would wish to have. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now