Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Psoriatic arthritis - any words of reassurance?

(23 Posts)
Haribojoe Sat 13-Oct-12 23:30:07

Have recently been diagnosed with PA, not a surprise as had been advised by GP some time ago that it was likely I had it. But since DD was burn (6 months ago) the symptoms are back with a vengeance.

So have had first appt with Rheumatologist, she ordered blood tests and xrays, she wants me to start methotrexate, though she is happy for me to wait until I stop BF DD.

Although none of this is a surprise it's really playing on my mind, should I have the treatment, am I going to be able to carry on working, what effect will it all have on my ability to look after my DC.

I know no one has a crystal ball but I'd appreciate hearing some real life experiences.

sashh Sun 14-Oct-12 03:58:57

Mhy father takes methotrexate with no problems.

I took it for 10-15 years and had symptoms every week, I had to basically write off one day a week.

No one can tell you whether you will experience any side effects, you just have to take it and see.

One of the side effects I had was my hair went from straight mousy to blond wavy.

Haribojoe Sun 14-Oct-12 06:37:22

Thanks sashh, I know that it's impossible to know how it will affect me. I think it's freaking me out that I've got this for life.

Can't shake the feeling that it's making me old before my time, if I'm like this now (am 33) how bad is it going to be in 10 years?

I worry about how it will affect life with my DC, I don't want them to have a mum who can't keep up with them sad

Hattie11 Sun 14-Oct-12 08:46:58

I have rheumatoid arthritis which I think is similar, and my pregnancies cause flare ups for up to a year afterwards. Then things aren't so bad.
Have you heard of dmards? That's what I'm on and I understand they are the predecessor to methotrexate

Haribojoe Sun 14-Oct-12 08:58:34

Thanks Hattie, am hoping that this flare up will settle as time goes on and hormones etc settle down.

Will ask cons about DMARD but she seems keen on me having methotrexate, as well as generally coping with life I have quite an active job (hospital midwife) and don't want to be struggling with work either.

I think I'm a bit freaked out by the thought that I've got this for life and just keep thinking the worst, think I need to get a bit of a grip smile

Hattie11 Sun 14-Oct-12 09:31:42

Totally know where u are coming from I freaked when first diagnosed. I had very limited mobility and felt a failure to my children I couldn't always take them to school.
But since being on dmards and it seems the further from pregnancy I get (youngest now 18mths) I cope better. Understanding it thru reading has really helped me, changes to my lifestyle to ensure I get equal rest and activity have also helped and the appropriate use of my cocktail of drugs too - I used to avoid taking them because I didn't want to be on tablets playing silly mind games with myself, but acceptance of the pills and learning how to get the best from them helps!
My rheumy time me to try these but indicated he expected me to end up on methotrexatr pretty quick but dmards have done well for me. Everyone reacts differently.
You are certainly not alone. There is an excellent arthritis forum on arthritis.org they give fab advice.

Good luck x

Hattie11 Sun 14-Oct-12 09:33:42

Oh and by the way, I've taken up jogging recently despite this time last year the doc telling me he'd do his best to keep me out of a wheelchair. I couldn't have imagined running a year ago.

Haribojoe Sun 14-Oct-12 10:12:08

Thanks Hattie, so encouraging to hear your story. You've into words almost exactly how I was feeling.

Cons is happy for me to wait till Easter before starting meds, think I'm gonna use that time to educate myself and try and change lifestyle to get as well as possible smile

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 14-Oct-12 11:15:03

Haribo, try not to worry about the future too much. It's a condition that can come and go, so in between flares you may be able to lead a normal life. I do manage to work with mine, though admittedly it is hard at the moment.

mankyscotslass Sun 14-Oct-12 11:25:24

DH has PsA, he was diagnosed about 10 years ago, so in his early 30's.

He did not get on well with Methotrexate, and had to be changed onto other meds after a couple of months trying, but I have a friend who is ok on it.

DH is on Sulfasalazine, Hydroclorquin and Celocoxib, and has been fairly stable for a while now.

He plays five a side football, and copes with our 3 kids ok, although he has had to make adjustments to how he carries them.

tedhutchinson Sun 14-Oct-12 20:28:29

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our <a target="_blank" href="/info/netiquette" rel="nofollow">Talk Guidelines</a>. Replies may also be deleted.

sashh Tue 16-Oct-12 07:37:48

I was 26 when I got the diagnosis - you will get fed up of people saying, "you are too young for arthritis".

ted

I'm already on prescription D3.

OP it is something worth checking though, mine was 7, normal is 30 - 75.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 16-Oct-12 07:42:51

Sash do you think d3has helped you?

All of a sudden it switches from 'you are to young for arthritis' to 'don't you hate getting older' from people who are 15 years older than you. Grrrrr. And people will tell you all about their dodgy knee if you mention you have PsA.

Wish it was called something different.

tedhutchinson Tue 16-Oct-12 15:55:25

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our <a target="_blank" href="/info/netiquette" rel="nofollow">Talk Guidelines</a>. Replies may also be deleted.

tedhutchinson Tue 16-Oct-12 16:14:27

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 16-Oct-12 16:59:26

so no quick fix then is what you are saying?!

I do get concerned about taking 'mega' doses of vitamins as I think getting the balance right between them can be quite tricky. I'd hate to take too much of one and find that means that I've become deficient in another or got the balance all wrong.
I took mega doses of omega 3 as prescribed by a health nutritionist. Unfortunately it really upset my tummy.

tedhutchinson Tue 16-Oct-12 19:04:19

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 17-Oct-12 17:39:33

oh! I thought Ted was just being helpful! was it a sales pitch?

mankyscotslass Thu 18-Oct-12 06:59:40

I was bit hmm about the posts they made, but I reckoned I was just being cynical in my old age.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 18-Oct-12 07:42:09

I seem to have my brain switched off at the moment.

sashh Fri 19-Oct-12 04:37:14

Sash do you think d3has helped you?

Yes, yes and did I mention yes?

GupX Fri 19-Oct-12 04:46:57

I have PA and have had it since I was 21 (now 37). I also waited until the DCs were no longer breastfed before starting methotrexate but only got to 10 months as my flare up was so bad I could no longer pick them up!

I felt as you do that I was getting old very quickly, would be in a wheelchair etc etc. I don't feel like that now.

Methotrexate didn't work for me - made me feel very poorly actually (though was a great way to lose weight - lost 1 1/2 stone in five weeks!)

I am now on Enbrel. It's brill. I can do all normal things and have no pain.

Hope you find the treatment you need smile

amummienetter Sat 20-Oct-12 20:37:30

Hi there, would anyone mind telling me what led to their diagnosis of PA?
I've had a diagnosis of + hla b27 Ankylosing Spondylitis. The diagnoses from the rheumatologist was based on my recurrent attacks of iritis and sore joints around the pelvis, knees and heels. Lower back aches a bit too.
I've recently had a seriously itchy elbow which I'm always furiously scratching and now it's looking a bit eczema like?
Methotrexate has been offered to me but after reading the side effects I've decided to plod along with the ibuprofen while i'm still functioning hmm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now