Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Blood pressure peaked after drinking herbal tea

(7 Posts)
fluffycauliflower Sat 13-Oct-12 17:08:30

I had a 24 hour blood pressure monitor this week. In the evening I sat in bed reading to my children, my blood pressure was fine, 118 over something for an hour, then my husband bought me a herbal tea in bed and my blod pressure went up to 148. Has anyone got any explaination?

LonelyCloud Sat 13-Oct-12 22:22:37

What kind of herbal tea was it?

fluffycauliflower Sun 14-Oct-12 07:51:44

twinings strawberry and mango

tedhutchinson Sun 14-Oct-12 10:16:50

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our <a target="_blank" href="/info/netiquette" rel="nofollow">Talk Guidelines</a>. Replies may also be deleted.

SaurenLaurensonsMum Sun 14-Oct-12 10:26:56

Licorice root can raise blood pressure if it is used over a long time.

fluffycauliflower Sun 14-Oct-12 10:38:46

Hi, thanks for your comments. My blood pressure went back to normal after 1/2 hour, so it did seem to be a direct result of me having the hot drink. I was wondering if it related to my body not dealing with the injestion of fluids very well.

sashh Tue 16-Oct-12 08:07:27

You took a hot drink into your body, your body's response was to deal with that, sending blood to your stomach and intestines, filtering using your liver and kidneys, and storage in your bladder.

It all needs more blood, a slight increase in BP is needed to get it there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now