Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

mirena coil - can anyone share experiences? I'm not sure whether to go for it

(16 Posts)
whatinthewhatnow Fri 12-Oct-12 18:37:44

Does it really hurt going in? I am a wimp.

Does it make you all hormoney and spotty? I'm a bit of a slave to my hormones and have dodgy skin sometimes so don't want to make it worse.

Does it stop periods? I would love this, obviously.

Any other experiences? I'm seeing the nurse for my smear soon so I could get her to do all the swabs that need doing at the same time.

LeChatRouge Fri 12-Oct-12 21:51:23

I had one fitted by doc at health centre. Yes, did hurt a bit, a sharp pain as it goes through the cervix, but it wasn't that bad. There was a nurse holding my hand and trying to chat about Greek islands! You can take paracetamol before your appointment.

I chose a non hormone IUD, as am sensitive to hormonal things and have reactions. My periods were VERY heavy, something I did struggle with a bit. I would say give it a go, having it removed was simple, a cough and she had it out, so you could try for six months.

DialMforMummy Fri 12-Oct-12 21:53:29

I have had a Mirena fitted last month and after a difficult birth, I was not keen to be "fiddled" with again. In fact i had some Diazepam prescribed by my GP so I could relax whilst it was put in. In fairness, it did not hurt and I am sure that the fact that I was relaxed helped. I took some Ibuprofen too (as the nurse advised)
I have still some spotting going on but everybody I know who had one told me to stick it as it will eventually disappear. And all have said that the period did stop or was reduced to something insignificant.
So far, besides the spotting, I have not noticed any side effects. I think it's worth putting up with the spotting for 5 years of peace.

MarianForrester Fri 12-Oct-12 23:02:12

Mine did not hurt at all going in.

But had constant bleeding for months, and felt fat and crabbit. Was an excellent contraceptive grin Had it taken out.

But friends swear by it, particularly for no periods- bah, hate 'em

MirandaWest Fri 12-Oct-12 23:06:23

Mine was really painful going in (didn't help that they used a plastic speculum or whatever the thing is to hold your cervix open and it broke so they had to start again with a metal one). Then had horrible cramps on the way back home and had to stop driving as thought I would faint or be sick or something.

But I've had it in for 4 years now and have had hardly any bleeding at all, no spots worth mentioning and hormone wise has been fine too. Get slight PMT ish things every couple of months or so but nothing really bad. Weight has gone down since getting it (although that was because I decided to exercise and stop eating so much crap).

So overall has been a good thing.

Flippityjig Fri 12-Oct-12 23:19:44

I had one about 12 years ago and had no periods whilst I had it. It did hurt like hell having it put in, noone told me to take painkillers first though. But I had an ectopic pregnancy whilst it was in and had it removed. I don't remember suffering badly hormonally.

overmydeadbody Fri 12-Oct-12 23:24:37

Well it really relly hurts going in, brought back memories of child birth for me, and then I had serious cramping and contractions every day for two weeks afterwards, huge waves of pain like the worst period pains ever, between 11am and 3pm. No idea why. I persevered through though, and now, four months on, my moods are fine (I was a beast with the implant, had to have it removed before I cut it out of my arm myself), almost no period (light spotting once ina while) and certainly no spots.

Be prepared for the hideous pain while they insert it into your cervix though.

Theas18 Fri 12-Oct-12 23:35:34

Disagree ! I've had mirenas for 13yrs no hideous pain on insertion or removal. Yep it's a bit sore and nauseating but not for long.

To correct Miranda west the speculum holds the vagina open just like for a smear NOT the cervix- that would bloody hurt!

I've had no periods after initial spotting till early thus year- as that was a significant change it was investigated and I had a little polyp removed from my uterus ( and my fibroids admired from the inside lol) under a day case GA. the new mirena has settled now I think.

Hormonally - seems ok.

Theas18 Fri 12-Oct-12 23:37:41

Actually - the nausea I recall more than the pain too- interesting what having you're cervix mucked about with does and how it is different for different women isn't it?

Homebird8 Fri 12-Oct-12 23:46:55

Mine pinched going in but was over in a few seconds. I would advise taking the paracetamol though!

In the few weeks afterwards I had random cramps, some quite painful but nothing now. I also had bleeding, not heavy though, for a few weeks. Periods after a few months went to insignificant spotting although it is about 6 weeks apart so I never quite know when to expect it.

I haven't noticed changes to my skin although my urine seems to smell different blush

I've also not had noticeable emotional issues I can put down to the coil (although I did emigrate a week after having it fitted) Actually I've been remarkably stable through all that but not with the flattened emotions I experienced on the pill.

Unlike the mini-pill the mirena seems to work for me as a contraceptive not a libido killer, so that's good.

I don't regret it at all and don't think about it now after a year or so.

Agnesinroom25 Fri 12-Oct-12 23:50:44

I was under GA when they put mine in so don't know if it hurt.
I love mine though no real periods every now and again I will spot for a day or two.
I do have more spots now though but not a horrific amount maybe one or two a month.

imperialstateknickers Fri 12-Oct-12 23:51:24

Thanks all, I'm not the OP but was going to post similar over the weekend. I think I'm going to go for it, anything's better than the current 12 day every 25 day periods from hell.

CarpeNoctem Mon 15-Oct-12 04:11:01

Love it! Have been using it for contraception since 2001 and am now on my third Mirena. I have a nulliparous (never been pregnant) cervix which in theory makes insertion more difficult, but would describe the insertion bit as cramping rather than pain. Take a couple of paracetamols before and you'll be fine smile
I had initial spotting which was on and off for about 4 months, and no periods at all since then. I'm not moody, fat or spotty either.

Sagelyhaunting Mon 15-Oct-12 06:56:51

I love mine! Spotting for a couple of days after inserting, not particularly painful ime. A bit like period pain for about 3 days after.

However, I now 'spot' on ovulation, and again 2 weeks later for my period. It's a bit annoying, but my gynecologist wasn't worried, and there is v v little blood.

SpottyTeacakes Mon 15-Oct-12 07:03:16

Mine was quite uncomfortable going in, worse than my sweep at 36 welds but bareable! I bled constantly for four months then went on to have four weekly periods until I fell pregnant. I didn't get any spots or weight gain. I know lots of people who love it, I think it's just one of those things you have to try and like others have said take some paracetamol beforehand smile

Samvet Mon 15-Oct-12 07:03:26

Loved it. No periods or pills for years. More uncomfortable than anything going in. Bit sicky feeling. No periods! No spots etc, all much better!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now