Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

CT scan

(8 Posts)
carmen66 Fri 12-Oct-12 18:09:50

Hi, my Pneumocolon CT scan is next Wed & I am petrified of the procedure & what might be found that is causing my daily diahorrea... My fastng starts on Monday for three days that alone is going to be difficult but I'm just thinking of it as being a good detox although I will have to spend the whole of Wed indoors after taking the laxative..
Has anybody else had any bowel procedures for the same symptoms as me advice greatly needed please :-)

Bunbaker Sat 13-Oct-12 10:24:44

I had a colonoscopy four years ago and the worst part was the drinking of and the after effects of the laxative. I just spent hours on the loo. The procedure itself was uncomfortable, but didn't take long.

DD had a CT scan this summer. She had to drink a liquid preparation and lie still for the scan. I can't remember how long it took, but it wasn't at all arduous.

Good luck. I hope they don't find anything untoward.

carmen66 Sun 14-Oct-12 07:49:15

Thankyou Bunbaker, a few people have said the prep is worse than the procedure... I'm fasting from tomorrow for 3 days the Dr gave me a diet sheet...
I have diahorrea daily & this has been for quite a few months all my blood tests are normal my Dr thinks that it's anxiety but thought it best to have a scan ..

Bunbaker Sun 14-Oct-12 08:11:52

Have you already had a colonoscopy?

carmen66 Sun 14-Oct-12 08:43:59

All the different procedures are confusing... I was booked in to have a Sigmoidoscopy a couple of weeks ago but the consultant at the Colorectal dept felt that because of my anxiety a Pneumocolon CT scan would be better I can't understand why as I was told that you can ask to be locally sedated she was adamant although it took a lot for me to get there that day. My husband explained my anxiety to her so she got me next weeks appt within 2 weeks I don't know why but I'm petrified of the whole thing & what their findings may be... I dont have any other symptoms i.e bleeding, or pain apart from a dull ache on the left of my ribs that isn't unbearable but there ..

Bunbaker Sun 14-Oct-12 09:05:16

You are lucky that you have an understanding consultant. The scan is a lot less invasive than a sigmoidoscopy - all you do is just lie there while the machine does the work (it's just like having a lengthy x-ray). Good luck with the scan and do let us know how you got on.

sashh Tue 16-Oct-12 08:10:03

I had a CT like that a year or two ago.

Get some wet toilet paper and a good book and a cushion. Put the book and cushion in the bathroom, youo will not be moving from there for a while.

They pumped air into my bumb to inflate the intestines - uncomfortable but not painful.

I wouldn't recomend you have company afterwars, you will be farting for severl hours.

carmen66 Tue 16-Oct-12 08:53:38

Thanks Sashh lol :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now