Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

What's wrong with me?

(11 Posts)
stepawayfromthefridge Fri 12-Oct-12 14:44:45

Hi, going out of my mind with worry. Just wondered if anyone else had any experiences?

In July I started to get some aching near my left hip, saw GP who said it was muscle strain, (i used to exercise regularly at the gym) not to worry it would go. Well, it did after 3 weeks but re appeared on my right side and has been there since sad I've seen several GPs, been told its trapped wind, IBS, groin strain. I've had an ultrasound scan on ovaries, womb etc, all clear. I've had blood works done including tumour markers for ovarian and bowel cancer, all clear.

I was diagnosed with a pelvic prolapse last year but my GP wouldn't refer me to gynaecologist so I paid for a private consultation. The uyrogyae confirmed my prolapse but said it wasn't the cause of my aches. I'm now having physiotherapy but its doing nothing for me. I can't have a complete BM so often feel like I need to open my bowels. I sometimes feel nauseous ( GP said this was anxiety). I have this ache constantly, worse just before my period. I can't exercise at all as it makes it so much worse. Even lifting my 3 year old DD is painful . I can't use tampons as the aching is unbearable. The aching sometimes re appears o my left side too. The drs keep saying its nothing serious, groin strain etc or due to weak core muscles but its so debilitating. I can't do anything sad

I'm so worried. I'm trying to help myself but nothing makes any sense. Thanks for reading.

orangeflutie Fri 12-Oct-12 14:56:44

It could be endometriosis. I've had it it myself and the pain you describe sounds similar, especially as you say it gets worse before your period. This was the same for me. After my period the pain would lessen but would still be there in the background. I also noticed the pain was worse (my pain was on the left), when my bowel was full.

I know you've had scans and been told they're all clear but often endometriosis does not show up on an ultrasound. As you're still in pain I would go back to your doctor and see if you can get a referral to a gynae. I'm not sure why your doctor wouldn't refer you last year, but I would see if you can speak to another doctor as being in constant pain isn't normal.

Endometriosis is usually confirmed by the gynae doing a laparoscopy (keyhole surgery).


straighttohellymelly Fri 12-Oct-12 15:00:48

I thought endometriosis too-I haven't had it, but several friends have, and the pain can be very bad. Or possibly adhesions if you've had abdominal surgery.

mampam Fri 12-Oct-12 15:15:45

I'm going to watch this thread with interest stepaway as your pain sounds very much like the pain I've been having for the last 2 years. I've had 2 ultrasounds on my uterus in the last year but both have turned up nothing as have blood tests.

I suffer with anxiety and there's nothing like this pain to get your mind racing and thinking the worst.

My pain is only on my right side but after reading on here other mumsnetters accounts of their endo symptoms I've been wondering if that is what might be wrong with me although I always thought it played havoc with fertility?? I've got 3 DC and never really had any trouble conceiving.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 12-Oct-12 15:19:06

Sounds very much like endometriosis to me as well; pelvic pain is actually one of its classic symptoms. It can also affect the bowel, rectal and bladder areas. I also winced in recognition when you mentioned that inserting a tampon was painful.

Endo is the second most common gynae problem seen in women after fibroids.

Any symptoms that are cyclical in nature and get worse up to and including menses should be checked out thoroughly to see if endometriosis is the root cause. In your case I would put a crisp £5 note on this being the underlying cause of your symptoms now.

Its not picked up on any internal ultrasound or blood test so they would not have seen it via those methods. As orange has stated it is usually only diagnosed through laparoscopy (keyhole surgery).

You need to ask the GP to refer you to a consultant gynae; such problems as well are outside a GPs remit and they can be ignorant too when it comes to endometriosis.

Would strongly suggest you keep a daily pain and symptom diary making a note from 1-10 in terms of pain felt. This will also give the gynae clues. is a useful website.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 12-Oct-12 15:19:46


Would not rule out endometriosis in your case either.

mampam Fri 12-Oct-12 15:27:07

Attila picked up on possibility of endometriosis on a thread about IBS. I've always suffered with heavy painful periods and since the birth of my dc3 2 years ago the period pain has been excrutiating, remeniscent of being in labour.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 12-Oct-12 16:02:09

Hi mampam

Would ask GP to refer you to a gynae for further evaluation. Do not take no for an answer!.

In the meantime would suggest you also keep a daily pain and symptom diary as this can give the gynae clues as well.

You will need to be persistant in order to get answers.

stepawayfromthefridge Fri 12-Oct-12 16:24:41

Thanks for this feedback eveyone. I hadn't thought of endometriosis until now. My periods aren't too bad but the first half of my cycle is much better in terms of pain than the second, second half I'm in constant pain and I feel quite sick with it sad. Saw the physio today. She felt my groin, where the pain is, mainly at the base of my hip by the crease of my leg and she said the muscle was in spasm. The pain also radiates up my hip and down into my leg sad

mampam Fri 12-Oct-12 16:46:01

stepaway the link to the endo website is worth a look. The pain you describe is pretty much how it is for me too.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 12-Oct-12 16:55:52


I used to get pains like that from my pelvis and hips down into my sciatic nerve. It was all due to endometriosis.

Are you under the care of a gynae, you also need to see such a person asap if you have not already been referred by the GP.

Would suggest you also keep a daily pain (on a scale of 1-10) and symptom diary; this can also help with investigations.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: