Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pls tell me about treatment for warts

(6 Posts)
Baskets45 Thu 11-Oct-12 17:57:37

I've had a big wart on hand for last few months, large and unsightly and in annoying position, so decided to treat with salactol. Now I've got a painful mess! In the last week it's started to look like it's disintegrating, but it began bleeding overnight. Is this normal? i've got very little experience with warts - last one was when aged about 10 - and verrucae I or DCs have had have just eventually fallen off, with or without salactol. But without bleeding bits. I tried duct tape but seem to be allergic to it as I got a rash (I am sensitive to lots incl certain sticking plasters so not a surprise really).

So, can someone suggest next step for me please. Have I overdone the salactol, and should I stop that now? haven't used since yesterday. I've had a read through relevant bits of Patient UK bt no clear guidance on what to do if the thing bleeds.

thewhistler Thu 11-Oct-12 22:15:14

Oh dear, don't know as have never used salactol. But yes mine used to bleed. Obviously you need to keep them infection free.

I was cured for ever by a white witch. Yes, I don't believe it either but it happened. Never had them since, and I had had them for years.

tabbycat15 Fri 12-Oct-12 15:33:25

I had to warts ony hands. I took high strength garlic tablets for over a year & one day I looked & they had disappeared. Garlic is anti viral.

Could you go to the Dr & get them frozen off with liquid nitrogen?

I would maybe show a pharmacist & see what they suggest if they are bleeding. You will probably need to leave off treated them for a while if the skin surface is open as you may get infection. Not sure if they should be covered up if bleeding.

nothinginthefridge Fri 12-Oct-12 17:06:59

I went to the Dr's on Monday with DS who has a wart on his hand. His answer was duck tape. I know, but apparently much more effectively than freezing it off with nitrogen. He said it was something to do with the glue in the tape.

I've thought it was worth a go, so got some for DS.

CaptainHoratioWragge Fri 12-Oct-12 17:09:54

Duct tape has been recommended to me too, apparently they can't live without oxygen, so if you tape them tightly they die and fall off.
I have yet to buy the tape, though, and would be interested in reports if anyone has actually tried it!

Baskets45 Fri 12-Oct-12 21:40:20

Thanks for all responses. Duct tape not an option for me as allergic to it. FYI there is a bit on research findings on duct tape in Patient UK. I put in 'Patient UK warts and verrucas', I think, and got quite a spiel, so that might help others. I seem to recall using tight tape (ordinary elastoplast) on a wart decades ago, and it went quite quickly. Obvs the effect of sealing it in.

I think I read too, for me, there might be a problem in having the freezing treatment now it's 'open' and bleeding. Not sure if I read that or imagined it! (maybe it'll just hurt like blazes). My hand a lot less sore now I've stopped the salactol but it's still bleeding intermittently, so i'll probably go to the minor injuries clinic on Monday and get another opinion. I do have it covered as read that once it's broken and excoriated the risk of spreading is higher and I don't want to pass on virus to family (or get any more), and it's actually quite unsightly and I feel sick when I look at it. And there's me an ex nurse too. I can tell you, I saw much much worse on other people. I must be getting old and feeble!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now