Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Guttate Psoriasis

(10 Posts)
LouHal Thu 11-Oct-12 14:53:55

Hi, I had tonsillitis nearly 2 weeks ago and at the weekend I developed guttate psoriasis. I am covered from head to tow in spots an it is so it itchy. The doctor has prescribed sown steroid tablets and cream but has said it could last for 3 months. Has anybody had this before and did it last that long. Thankfully it is not on my face but everywhere else is covered so it's quite embarrassing going out!

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 11-Oct-12 19:44:50

Have you been referred to a dermatologist? What cream have you been given and for how long? Did you have antibiotics?
You can use coal tar baths to help plus you should moisturise like billy o.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Thu 11-Oct-12 22:31:21

My dd developed this after a bout of tonsilitis too, her outbreak lasted 6 weeks.
She wasn't given steroid treatment as she was only 5 at the time, we were prescribed emolliant bath additive and moisturizing cream ( can't remember name!)
She was seen by a dermtologist who said they could use light treatment if she got further attacks when she was older.

Squeegle Thu 11-Oct-12 22:35:06

Yes, I had this after tonsillitis!! I thought it was chicken pox. After I had my tonsils removed it never happened again. Strange isn't it????

battherat Thu 11-Oct-12 22:35:13

Oh goodness. It's dreadful. I have had it. Use the creams, push for some light treatment via a dermatologist and get outside and have as much fresh air and natural day light as possible. I really feel for you as I have had a couple of outbreaks that were shocking.

Squeegle Thu 11-Oct-12 22:37:09

I can't remember how long it lasted, 3 weeks or so I think. I don't think I had steroids to get rid of it, but I was given some cream. Definitely worth seeing if you can get your tonsils removed, as I think it will come back.

porkpie Sun 14-Oct-12 20:49:42

The same happened to me after a bout of tonsillitis, I was covered from head to toe. I used a mild steroid cream on my face and arms, loads of baths with dead sea salt followed by the moisturising cream. However my GP referred me immediately to the dermatologist, and I had a course of UVB phototherapy - approx 3 times per week over a month or so. I think it took about 3 months to clear completely, but it was a one off and never returned, thank goodness.
You have my sympathy, it's truly horrible, but it will clear.

converseconvert Sat 20-Oct-12 22:42:07

The same happened to me at start of the year after strep throat. After trying all the different steriod creams and vitamin D ointments one of the docs at practice prescribed Cetraben bath emoiliant which soothed it until it cleared on it's own. I also found the Vaseline lotion for sensitive/dry skin that comes in a box really good and antihistamines to help the itch at night.

squoosh Mon 12-Nov-12 23:59:28

Ugh. I had this too after a strep throat. Wasn't itchy but looked awful. It lasted about 18 months before disappearing.

Then it came back about 6 months ago. I read a few articles about how some scientists suspect that chronic low levels of Vitamin D are the cause of many auto immune conditions such as psoriasis. I started taking 5000iu of Vit D per day and my skin cleared up within 6 weeks. Miraculous.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Tue 13-Nov-12 10:09:59

My dd, she was 5 at the time came out in this after a bout of tonsillitis her back and front were covered but only a few isolated spots elsewhere.
It took six weeks to go and left no scarring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now