Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sitting in the hospital after my gall bladder removal :)

(13 Posts)
Twinkletoes91 Thu 11-Oct-12 14:41:47

It's been a very long wait but finally had my gall bladder removed at 9am this morning :D hoping for a speedy recovery smile

PeachyPossum Thu 11-Oct-12 16:08:07

Hey twinkle. How are you feeling?

Twinkletoes91 Thu 11-Oct-12 20:40:05

Achy smile just feel very bruised sad

HomelessMummy Thu 11-Oct-12 20:52:06

Had mine done 2 weeks ago. Day after was ok but the third day just hit me like a brick! Think the good drugs had worn off and I was stiff from being too scared to move much.

But after that it was improving every day. On day 10 I was humping boxes into storage!

Wounds are ok -don't ruch to remove the stitches though as mine came off day 4 and 5 and opened up a bit. But mostly healed now. I am still sporting some wicked coloured bruises though.

Food wise - don't eat big portions for a week or so - it was really painful for me. I don't feel very hungry these days which is a bonus. I've reacted badly to high fat foods too. So similar diet to pre-op. Takes a while for the body to adjust to a missing digestive step but I never really considered it.

Lastly - take it easy! I honestly thought "it's only keyhole day surgery! I'll be normal in no time!" but it's still major surgery - you've had an organ removed! And scowl at people that tell you otherwise smile

PoppyScarer Thu 11-Oct-12 20:54:04

<applauds>

Am booked in for mine in about 6 weeks. Bit scared.

Twinkletoes91 Thu 11-Oct-12 22:36:47

Feel awful now meds are wearing off so dreading the next few days sad but looking forward to no more gall bladder attacks!! smile I have some dihydracodein left from when I had bad attacks so taking that as its stronger than the co codomol they have prescribed me smile

HomelessMummy Thu 11-Oct-12 23:03:41

The dihydracodein was the good stuff they gave me on the ward. Sent me home talking ten to the dozen and feeling lovely smile

After that it was co-dydramol and diclofenic for me. But after day 4 nothing. It hurts short term but quickly turns to niggly rather then painful.

Try not to sit in same position too long as that caused trapped air to hurt under my shoulders etc. I was fine standing up or sitting down but actually getting up or sitting down hurt iyswim.

It's nice not to feel the ache of an impending gallbladder attack! Worth it all for the knowledge that I won't be feeling that agony again.

Take it easy and hope you feel better soon.

Twinkletoes91 Thu 11-Oct-12 23:32:02

Thanks everyone, I have 2 and a half weeks booked off work (and can have more if needed) so just going to take it easy and play it by ear. Fingers crossed my meds will start kicking in smile

houndofthebiscuittin Fri 12-Oct-12 10:24:20

Glad you're all done Twinkle. You take it v v easy and look after yourself. [flowers] and hug.

houndofthebiscuittin Fri 12-Oct-12 10:25:13

Aw I buggered your flowers up. Here, have some better ones thanks

Twinkletoes91 Fri 12-Oct-12 10:45:20

:D

HomelessMummy Fri 12-Oct-12 12:55:28

How are you feeling today Twinkle?

Twinkletoes91 Sat 13-Oct-12 10:32:53

Feeling a lot better today homelessmummy (day 3) they have said I can Take my stockings off today and take the plasters off but think I might wait untill tomorrow for the plasters. Still hard to get up after sitting/lying down but slowly getting there. Hard to deal with DS as he's only 11 months and wants lots of cuddles and for me to pick him up which is just impossible. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now