Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gastroscopy/Endoscopy. Has anyone had one? Can you talk me through it?

(18 Posts)
Pinot Thu 11-Oct-12 14:12:12

Thanks smile

jalopy Thu 11-Oct-12 14:48:14

Yep. Quite a few times.

Ask for sedation. It's unpleasant without. The only downside is that you will need someone to take you home afterwards.

They will ask you to wear a gown. Put a blood pressure cuff on your arm. A little device called a saturation monitor is attached to your finger to monitor your O2 levels.

They ask you to lie on your side. A plastic device is placed between your teeth to stop you chomping on the endoscopy tube. They ask you to swallow the endoscopy tube at intervals. It is an unpleasant sensation and you will naturally gag. Once down it's ok. Then the doctor will examine your stomach and perhaps a little beyond with the help of a camera at the end of the endoscopy tube. He/She may take samples or biopsies. No pain involved.

It's over really quickly. Sometimes you remember things even under sedation. It's pretty straightforward.

Good luck

Pinot Thu 11-Oct-12 15:06:24

Thank you. I'm so worried that I'll gag and vomit blush

It's for samples to be taken - will I feel that, do you think?

Also, what's odd is the appointment letter says "Please note this is your booking in time with the nurse, your procedure will follow later". Do they mean later that day? Or the nurse will see me, talk to me and then send me home with an appointment for the actual thing?

HomelessMummy Thu 11-Oct-12 15:09:42

Could be your pre-op just to check height and weight etc. I also did urine, blood and mrsa tests. But ring the number on the letter and ask to be sure.

Asmywhimsytakesme Thu 11-Oct-12 15:14:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pinot Thu 11-Oct-12 15:19:40

I'm a bit scared to ask <wuss>

Thanks all. Sedation it is!

jalopy Thu 11-Oct-12 16:19:09

Pinot, the samples they take don't hurt. You'll be fine, honest.

nellyjelly Thu 11-Oct-12 16:21:05

Had it without sedation.. I am soooooo tough! Actually was pregnant so couldn't.

They spray something on back of throat to stop you gagging. It was not that bad. Even awake.

Pinot Thu 11-Oct-12 17:12:30

Thanks all smile

l4k Thu 11-Oct-12 22:19:47

Yes I had one once before with no sedation.It wasn't too bad, by the time I decided i'd had enough it was over.
I'm actually having another one on thursday next week.They are taking samples this time which I'm not sure about.
I intend to try it without the sedation again as I don't like the recovery time.(It makes me feel dozy for 2 days)
What are they looking for with you and when is it?

difficultpickle Thu 11-Oct-12 22:23:07

I had one recently and it was fine. Second time I've had one and I don't remember either. I also had a colonscopy and that was really unpleasant and I remember it completely (I wonder if they assumed the sedation from the endoscopy would last long enough).

Meglet Thu 11-Oct-12 22:29:01

I had sedation for my endoscopy. The doctor performing the procedure explained that they would have to pump air down into my stomach to allow them to pass the camera down and it would make me burp a lot. She also said I would probably be aware of them trying to put the camera down and my body would gag and try and stop it, but they would win (in a nice way).

I did flitter to conciousness when they were trying to get the camera down my throat, it was a very strange sensation (and would be scary if I hadn't of expected it) but I relaxed back into it so they could get it down.

They also drugged me up to my eyeballs for my colonoscopy. All for my IBS, or whatever it is, we're still investigating.

l4k Fri 19-Oct-12 22:52:12

Yes, mine is investigating probable ibs.
Have you had yours yet, op?

Pinot Sat 20-Oct-12 09:47:57

Not yet - the appointment with the nurse is Thursday <wibble>

l4k Sat 20-Oct-12 10:25:57

My appointment was with a nurse then 15 mins later for the procedure. I had no sedation again as for me it's just more recovery. It was over really quickly and the biopsies feels like tugging, not painful.
Dh took me out for a meal on the way home!!!
They pump some air in which was a bit uncomfortable for a few hours but apart from that felt fine.
Good luck for yours.

Pinot Sat 20-Oct-12 10:27:52

oh so it might be the same day?! Wah! That's helpful to know, thank you. Thank you!

runzombierun Sat 20-Oct-12 16:23:26

If you're booked with the endoscopy nurse procedure might v well be performed that day. If you def want sedation then ring the department tomorrow to be clear that they can accomodate this - they will request that you have another adult to take you home/stay with you at home, and check starvation times with them as well.

I've always had sedation for mine (x4 so far), hats off to those who can go without.

Pinot Sat 20-Oct-12 16:26:50

Wah!! Thank you for all the advice and info.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now