Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Could shingles be the root of all my problems

(10 Posts)
craziedaisy Thu 11-Oct-12 13:05:03

Well for the last 6 months I have been suffering from very bad pain in my right breast that radiates into my ribs and under my armpit. I have been to see three different GP's who have examined me and reasured me that they don't think that there is anything wrong. Sometime it is very tender to touch in my rib area. I mentioned my symptoms to my friend and she thought it sounded like shingles pain. I suddenly remembered that about 7 months ago I had a very angry red patch of skin that itched between my breasts (cleavage area). It was sort of spotty and very sore. I didn't give it too much thought at the time but do remember putting my eczema cream on it for a few days but it didn't help improve it. Mentioned it to DH who usually doesn't remember anything but he can remember the patch of skin too.

Do you think that this could be the problem? If it was shingles in this area could it radiate into breast area? Any thoughts gratefully recieved. Anyone had on going pain from shingles?

Clargo55 Thu 11-Oct-12 13:41:16

I have limited knowledge of shingles; OH has had it once about 6 months ago. He still has on going pain from the sites where his rash appeared (from left shoulder down to wrist). The rashes he had were like red patches with little blisters all over the patches. Before any rash appeared his shoulder ached badly.

As far as I am aware shingles usually does not cross the center line of the body. Our doctor said people normally only get it on one side of the body and never the other.

HTH

Clargo55 Thu 11-Oct-12 13:52:50

Oh and the rash normally last for 7-10 days. If the rash you had on your chest was only for a couple of days, its unlikely to be shingles.

The nhs website might be helpful

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Shingles/Pages/Introduction.aspx/

Clargo55 Thu 11-Oct-12 13:53:34

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Shingles/Pages/Introduction.aspx/

Sorry blush

tedhutchinson Thu 11-Oct-12 13:56:23

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our <a target="_blank" href="/info/netiquette" rel="nofollow">Talk Guidelines</a>. Replies may also be deleted.

craziedaisy Thu 11-Oct-12 14:18:16

Sorry wasn't very clear. No rash was there for a number of weeks. Hard to think back but proabaly at least 2 weeks.

bruffin Thu 11-Oct-12 14:24:17

I had nueralgia for about 15 years after i had shingles, but it wasnt all the time. It was mainly part of PMT.

craziedaisy Thu 11-Oct-12 14:32:13

Thanks for all the feedback. I will look into the links ted. Can I ask bruffin was the nueralgia just at the site of the rash or did it spread?

bruffin Thu 11-Oct-12 15:05:51

It was just at the site of the rash, but I dont know if that is normal.

Dozer Thu 11-Oct-12 23:27:57

Had shingles last year, pain in ribs/what felt like lung (!), armpit, back shoulder blade, then small patches of the rash on right boob and on right side of my back. Ouch! Still get occasional, much lesser pain under back shoulder blade (inside, not at rash site).

Have you looked at pictures of shingles rashes online to see if is similar to what you had?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now