Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Diagnostic hysteroscopy without pain relief

(17 Posts)
LPO Thu 11-Oct-12 13:03:18

Just looking for other peoples experiences to prepare myself a bit...
I have been booked in to have a diagnostic hysteroscopy next week. I live abroad so maybe things are different here. They have booked me into the one-day clinic but have said that there won't be a general or local, it will just be a 'quick procedure' without pain relief... So, am I going to be in hell?! Anyone else had it done without any anesthetic?

I am planning to go on my own and drive home afterwards so presuming it will be ok to do that.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 11-Oct-12 14:18:28

www.bupa.co.uk/individuals/health-information/directory/h/hysteroscopy

You may find the above useful to read.

Why are they doing this seemingly without either using local or GA?. Have never heard of such a procedure being done without any form of anaesthesia.

I would arrange for someone to take you home post this procedure as you may feel very uncomfortable.

Bunbaker Thu 11-Oct-12 14:21:26

Is this the procedure where they shoot some dye into your uterus?

If so, I had that done without anaesthetic several years ago. I was warned that it might be uncomfortable, but it was no worse than period cramps.

LPO Thu 11-Oct-12 19:34:01

thank you both for that. I have no idea why it is without anaesthesia, that just seems to be the way it is in this country.. I didn't realise it was so abnormal until I started researching it on the internet.

frankie4 Fri 12-Oct-12 00:06:54

I had this done with a GA. They put a camera up into your uterus - I have never heard of it being done without anaesthetic.

houndofthebiscuittin Fri 12-Oct-12 10:22:04

I had 2 cervical polyps removed and a biopsy taken last year LPO. No GA or local was offered. Took about 20 mins. Had nurse at head end distracting me and apart from a few crampy episodes it was ok. Not the nicest thing ever but certainly not the worst (and I have a pretty pathetic pain threshold). The consultant gave me a couple of little rests and said to stop her if I was having probs but really it was nothing like as bad as I'd imagined. I was fine afterwards too. Just tired and needing a rest but otherwise ok. I have been told by NHS friend that some trusts do it without anaesthesia in the uk these days as saves money. I got the impression at my appointment that if you really couldn't cope they'd abandon the attempt and schedule you back in with an anaesthetic.

DameFannyGallopsAtaGhost Fri 12-Oct-12 10:26:14

Is a camera worse than a smear?

Had a uterine biopsy without pain relief (or warning) last year - crampy after but doable.

houndofthebiscuittin Fri 12-Oct-12 17:25:30

I've had smears that were far more painful than the hysteroscopy DameFanny. I have a retroverted uterus and if the person doing the smear isn't used to that (though it's meant to be quite common) it can be agony. The consultant doing the hysteroscopy was very gentle and until she actually started to take the polyps away and do the biopsy it wasn't really uncomfortable at all.

DameFannyGallopsAtaGhost Fri 12-Oct-12 18:25:02

I think the most painful thing I've had was inserting a mirena - she got the dilator caught on my cervix on the way back out «Crosses legs at the memory»

FuriousRox Fri 12-Oct-12 18:41:26

I had one and it was definitely uncomfortable - like a coil but a bit worse as it took longer. I was given a pessary painkiller to use beforehand and some kind of pills afterwards. I think more than the actual pain or was just uncomfortable and invasive but I wdnt much fancy it without some kind of painkiller.

JustFabulous Fri 12-Oct-12 18:44:00

I have had this twice without any pain relief and will be having it again next week while under GA. No dye involved. Without PR the other week I went very pale and into shock. Next week I have to stay in for a few hours and can't drive or make major decisions for 24 hours.

sharon162415 Mon 08-Jul-13 09:52:50

im having a hysteroscopy next week, I have gel nails on but they are French does anyone know if this will be ok?

SunshineBossaNova Mon 08-Jul-13 10:03:46

I had one without pain relief and it was fine, like someone said above I've had worse smear tests smile

digerd Mon 08-Jul-13 14:16:36

I too had this done under GA, though. The procedure lasted just 20 minutes. I had only period like cramps afterwards, but the most annoying thing was that I bled for 6 weeks - no flooding though. I was menopausal, but hadn't had a period for 2 years.
I had a scrape as well.

HenWithAttitude Mon 08-Jul-13 14:18:35

I had this without any anaesthesia and it was absolutely fine (and I was terrified)

LurcioLovesFrankie Mon 08-Jul-13 14:29:39

I had this done as part of the process of removing a cervical polyp. The gynaecologist offered me a choice - get both procedures done on the spot without anaesthetic (she warned me it could be painful), or come back and get them done under GA, with the attendant risks and the fact that I'd be wiped out by the aftermath of the anaesthetic for several days. I went for the "on the spot" option. Polyp was fine, hysteroscopy was bloody painful but over quickly, and on balance I'm glad I didn't go for the GA (friend had same procedure done under GA round about the same time, and she reckons she lost about a week feeling groggy from GA).

The important thing for me was that the gynaecologist was totally honest about the pros and cons of both options and gave me the choice. I'd do it the same way if I had to do it again tomorrow.

Laylajaney Wed 05-Nov-14 11:25:15

I had this procedure done yesterday and couldn't believe I wasn't offered any painkillers or analgesic. It was very painful for me and I have a high pain threshold . They took two specimens but I'm having the polyp removed under G A . I'm post menopausal maybe thats why it was so painful .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now