Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I think I have ear ache!!

(8 Posts)
Movingforward123 Thu 11-Oct-12 07:17:55

My ear has been feeling sore throughout the night! My throat is sore too, and when I swallow my ear hurts!

Dd had an ear infection recently and had antibiotics for it, is there anything I can do about it before it gets bad? To prevent rather then cure?

mrsfuzzy Thu 11-Oct-12 09:37:14

as ear, nose and throat are connected when one thing hurts other things follow, try a covered hot water bottle next to the ear, and some pain killer, that will also help ease your throat, some honey and lemon would soothe the throat soreness, if it continues, before making a gp apt have a chat with your pharmacist in the chemist, they can offer advice, and will tell you if they suspect infection.

Plopsicle Thu 11-Oct-12 11:50:28

I have the same thing, been gradually getting worse since monday.

My GP wouldn't give antibiotics and said its viral, I don't know how they can be so sure without taking swabs.

It's getting worse and is waking me up through the night, I 've been alternating Paracetamol, Codeine and Ibuprofen today and its barely touching the pain.

Not sure what to do really.

mrsfuzzy Thu 11-Oct-12 12:42:52

plop i would speak to the gp again and tell them what you've said here, if need be speak to another gp, i must admit iam guilty in the past of saying " i'm not telling you your job but i really would feel happier if..a,b,c was to happen, they might not have thought of taking a swab, drs are not gods and therefore do not always get it right, if you gp isn't helpful is there a nhs walk in centre local to you? you might have more luck there.

Plopsicle Thu 11-Oct-12 12:51:53

Thanks mrsfuzzy

I only went to the GP yesterday, if I'm still in pain tomorrow I'll be making another appointment. I need stronger painkillers if nothing else.

Ear pain really is miserable.

tedhutchinson Thu 11-Oct-12 13:41:25

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our <a target="_blank" href="/info/netiquette" rel="nofollow">Talk Guidelines</a>. Replies may also be deleted.

Plopsicle Thu 11-Oct-12 20:45:34

Well I've been back to the GP because the pain was unbearable, different GP this time.

He said my throat is extremely swollen, I have been prescribed strong antibiotics and have to go back in the morning and if its any worse might have to go to hospital for IV anti b's. So the doctor yesterday obviously got it very wrong this time.

mrsfuzzy Fri 12-Oct-12 10:24:54

good for you plop, great news that it being taken seriously, they might have had years of training but as i said before doctors are not gods, hope you feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now