Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Arthritis in ball of foot

(9 Posts)
Melmagpie Wed 10-Oct-12 21:00:31

I had some pain in the summer and the podiatrist said I had a bit of arthritis. I didn't really believe her and thought it was muscular, but now the pain is quite bad and it looks a bit swollen too - I'm limping a bit. Obviously I'll go back to the doc but just wondered if anyone else suffered from this - I'm 42 so hope this isn't the beginning of a steep arthritic decline - don't feel ready for that!

BlingLoving Wed 10-Oct-12 21:02:34

Gout? Or bunions? I have (thankfully minor) bunions but they flare up every now and again for no discernible reason.

NorthernNumpty Wed 10-Oct-12 21:05:16

Could it be metatarsalgia? Google it, many possible causes, I used to suffer when wearing heels all the time. Hardly wear them now so haven't noticed any pain in recent years.

Melmagpie Wed 10-Oct-12 21:23:27

Thank you all, have been googling your suggestions, and though I don't fit the typical profiles (not overweight, don't wear heels)all seem to be possibilities, esp gout. Hmm will see what doc says...

jalopy Wed 10-Oct-12 21:25:19

Mortons neuroma?

penona Wed 10-Oct-12 21:41:46

Mortons neuroma? They cause excruciating pain in the ball if your foot. Feels a bit like arthritis. I got mine diagnosed with an ultrasound.

Melmagpie Wed 10-Oct-12 22:43:44

Yes saw that on google - could be that. Wouldn't describe my pain as excruciating, just painful, stiff and swollen. Any tips on shoes, and home remedies for this kind of thing?

shitmagnet Thu 11-Oct-12 07:25:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Melmagpie Thu 11-Oct-12 07:33:32

I'm wondering if I could have RA. Not frequently, but every few years I seem to get an attack where some of my joints become massively problematic. Ten years ago I had a week where my knees and hips were painful and wouldn't take my weight. I had a similar thing with my hip last year. Then they recover. Does that sound like RA??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now