Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Vaginal swabs - Check for what exactly?

(11 Posts)
amummienetter Wed 10-Oct-12 16:13:23

I had a routine smear a few years ago with vaginal swabs being taken also. I remember the doctor telling me that the results for swabs came back fine apart from a discovery of BV. Does anyone have any idea what tests are carried out from a routine swabbing session? I just didn't think to ask at the time but after seeing an advert for chlamydia testing at Boots I was wondering if I may have already been tested.

fuckadoodlepoopoo Wed 10-Oct-12 16:14:29

What's bv?

fuckadoodlepoopoo Wed 10-Oct-12 16:15:06

I got swabbed for chl

fuckadoodlepoopoo Wed 10-Oct-12 16:16:17


I got swabbed for chlymidia at my smear but they told me they were doing it.

lurcherlover Wed 10-Oct-12 16:17:14

Bacterial vaginosis - a very common infection.

Unless you're at a GUM clinic or the dr told you, they are unlikely to have swabbed for chlamydia. Normally it's just BV, thrush and a couple of others. If you're worried you might have chlamydia, your best bet is to go to the GUM clinic - it's completely confidential and they can check you out for everything.

amummienetter Wed 10-Oct-12 17:03:03

I'm due to have a Hysteroscopy very soon because my womb is thickened along with heavy periods and discharge (I'm 36). So recently I have found myself obsessing over wombs, vagina's and possible infections (smile).

fuckadoodlepoopoo Wed 10-Oct-12 17:04:24


amummienetter Wed 10-Oct-12 17:25:06

I last had unprotected sex 14 years ago and since then we have been using condoms as hormonal contraception turns me into someone I never want to be again. From what I read chlamydia doesn't necessarily cause obvious symptoms is that right? And would I have symptoms years later?

lurcherlover Wed 10-Oct-12 21:34:59

Chlamydia doesn't always cause symptoms in women, but usually does in men, so if you've had the same partner in all that time it's probable that he would have had something (pain during urination, discharge, that sort of thing). But not all men get symptoms, so if you're at all worried I would just go for a test. It's really quick and you get the results within a few days - if you've got it they just give you antibiotics and it's gone.

amummienetter Wed 10-Oct-12 23:36:02

Cheers lurcher smile

Bumpstart Wed 10-Oct-12 23:51:37

To alleviate paranoia, request tests in EVERYTHING. These days they ask your consent before testing for sti's.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: