Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Possiblr broken finger. Do I need to get it checked?

(20 Posts)
HauntedLittleLunatic Tue 09-Oct-12 23:31:17

fell down the stairs and landed on and bent back my finger from the first knuckle (my definition of first being nearest tip of finger).

It hurt lots for first 30-60mins. mostly around first knuckle. It looks slightly bent but so is my finger on opposite hand so think thats just me and my wierd hands.

Very painful to bend second knuckle. Little movement in 1st knuckle.

When I prod it is painful around second knuckle which has a bit of give in it. it is swollen in this region but not massively (ice and elevation have worked wonders).

I am thinking more likely to be a soft tissue injury, but do I toddle off to walk in tomorrow to get it checked?don't want to burden them but don't want to ignore if I should get it checked?

TodaysAGoodDay Wed 10-Oct-12 00:02:22

I wouldn't bother the A & E folks if I was you, but do go and see your GP just to make sure it's okay. If they feel you need to go to hospital at least it won't mean you sitting around in A & E for 4.5 hours. Hope it's better in the morning, Ibuprofen works wonders.

TheRealAmyFarrahFowler Wed 10-Oct-12 00:04:13

I wouldn't bother with A&E unless you are in massive discomfort. Go tomorrow if it's still very sore.

BrittaPerry Wed 10-Oct-12 00:05:32

Ouch.

Yes, get it checked out tomorrow, but if it isn't in agony/bent out of shape severely then it doesn't need to be tonight.

Disclaimer: Not medically qualified in any way.

SchrodingersMew Wed 10-Oct-12 00:10:40

You have to get it seen to. This recently happened to my DGM, she was determined not to get it looked at. Eventually she did and they told her if it isn't properly splinted then it will heal in the bend and you will lose a lot of mobility in that finger.

It also happened to my Aunt, who didn't get it seen to and now cannot use that finger as it has healed in a bend and is extremely stiff and painful.

RemindMeWhatSleepIs Wed 10-Oct-12 00:17:07

Not tonight. Take some painkillers, rest it, and see how it is in the morning. No harm in a trip to A&E / walk in centre if it's still bothering you. Try and pick a quiet time if you are able to.

Good luck! smile

HauntedLittleLunatic Wed 10-Oct-12 00:37:46

Cool. I had no intention of A&E and I had no intention of tonight. I recognise that it isn't so bad that it won''t wait.

My Walk-in has minor injuries with X-Ray facilities so that would be my best option if anything I think. Just unsure if it will even warrant that (tho will obviously reassess tomorrow).

It is quite swollen now which is what I think is restricting the movement. Still bloody hurts tho sad

arghhhmiddleage Wed 10-Oct-12 00:44:17

Yes, get it checked. Tomorrow is fine, and minor injuries is a good starting point, they will refer on if any concerns. In the meantime, paracetamol and ibuprofen smile

rockinhippy Wed 10-Oct-12 00:54:44

I've an accident prone DD, so unfortunatly getting to know more than o want to about fractures etc - from
the 2 recent finger fractures she's had,numbness + tingling can indicate a fracture, as can Sharp grinding pain + referred pain near injury site - that said she had the injury you describe but ob het pinky + even though they were sure it was fractured they didn't xray, treatment is same for sprain or fracture, so no point. So seeing walk in is definitely the best bet as they'll likely strap it to stabilize it, with DD they strapped 2 fingers together both times - if you've ibruprofen that would help especially for bed. H th

rockinhippy Wed 10-Oct-12 00:57:00

But on her pinky - hate posting VIA phone!!

HauntedLittleLunatic Wed 10-Oct-12 07:56:50

Bloody hurts this morning.

Swollen

Limit movement.

Am off to walk in in an hour when I know they have switched x ray machine on.

RemindMeWhatSleepIs Wed 10-Oct-12 09:16:48

Morning! I hope your trip to walk in centre runs smoothly and that your finger is better soon. smile

rockinhippy Wed 10-Oct-12 12:11:50

Good luck with it today - you can buy cocodamol over the counter, that can help more with the pain than paracetamol alone & you can still take it with ibruprofen - IME they don't give you pain pills in Walk in or A&E anymore (they don't give you much of anything anymoresad ) but you can buy them cheaply

rockinhippy Wed 10-Oct-12 12:15:33

Biscuits - part bake & then stack & freeze in freezer box or old ice cream tub - you can refresh bake them nearer the time & wrap up in nice little cellophane parcels, finished off with wrapping ribbon curls & the DCs home made labels

rockinhippy Wed 10-Oct-12 12:16:43

shock blush OOPS!! - no idea what happened there - I thought was replying to a foody gift questionconfused

HauntedLittleLunatic Wed 10-Oct-12 13:19:55

Thanks guys.

My walk in is wonderful actually (although no pain relief but I can do that myself).

Within 45 minutes I was assessed, x-rayed and splinter. I have a flake fracture on the second knuckle. It hurts but will heal. Driving was bloody painful though.

DystopianReality Wed 10-Oct-12 13:25:04

Get it checked in A&E asap. It sounds distorted. If it heals that way, it will never be the same again. It may need 'resetting' in A&E, diagnosis, possibly a 'Mallet finger'.

HauntedLittleLunatic Wed 10-Oct-12 13:29:49

Nope not distorted. That was considered the normal shape of my finger. The bend is actually in a completely different place to the fracture.

But it is fractured. I have been seen and it is splinted.

RemindMeWhatSleepIs Wed 10-Oct-12 18:21:53

Glad you're all sorted. smile

Sorry to put my boring work head on for a mo but..... Please check the small print of your car insurance (or a quick telephone call), you are possibly not insured to drive now you have a diagnosis of a fracture. Even a small fracture. It's better to know you're not insured in advance than find out when your insurance company don't pay out for an accident. Can be £1000's for 2 damaged cars plus a personal injury claim!!

HauntedLittleLunatic Wed 10-Oct-12 19:49:11

Really? I hadn't thought about that. As a single parent I would be seriously inconvienienced if I couldn't drive for 6 weeks...

But I will check

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now