Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Flexor sheath infection - very confused!! Please help

(5 Posts)
PiggeryJokery Tue 09-Oct-12 15:09:06

I was diagnosed this morning at hospital with a flexor sheath infection in my right index finger. Given oral abs and a custom-made split, told to come back in 2-3 weeks, if no better I'm looking at surgery to wash it out.

Now I'm home I have Googled (I know I know!) only to find that this is an acute condition which requires quick intervention (eg IV abs within 48hrs) to avoid permanent damage. As the symptoms started 5-6 weeks ago either my finger is royally fucked, I have been mis-diagnosed and mis-treated, or am missing something entirely. I really hope the last option is the case.

Can anyone shed any light at all please? I should call the clinic but would feel like an arse ringing up to query the consultant on the strength of a google search and no other knowledge.

PiggeryJokery Tue 09-Oct-12 18:24:15

Bump!

mumblechum1 Tue 09-Oct-12 18:26:12

Is this the same as trigger finger? I have trigger thumb, which means that it gets increasingly stiff over time, and eventually so bad that I have to use the other hand to straighten it out

I go to a private doc who injects it every few months with hydrocortisone which fixes it temporarily at least.

PiggeryJokery Wed 10-Oct-12 10:30:12

Not the same as trigger finger but similar type of complaint I think. Not very common it seems!

tedhutchinson Wed 10-Oct-12 11:46:55

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our <a target="_blank" href="/info/netiquette" rel="nofollow">Talk Guidelines</a>. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now