Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Which sanitary towels to you use?

(13 Posts)
Madmog Tue 09-Oct-12 10:45:33

If you use sanitary towels, can you tell me which make you use please? Do they stick well and stay in place? Are ultra ones as absorbant as maxi ones?

I use tampons but for some reason I've started to feel itchy internally the first day or two of my period (which wears off) so I think it's hormonal. Anyway, thinking of using sanitary towels for a while, so just wondering what's popular.

BreastmilkDoesAFabLatte Tue 09-Oct-12 12:45:11

I just use the own brand ones from Tesco/Asda/wherever, which have always stuck and stayed put without a problem. But I've never had particularly heavy periods, so can't really comment on their absorbancy as such.

BrianButterfield Tue 09-Oct-12 12:47:20

I hadn't used towels for over ten years so when I went back to using them post-DS (still feel comfortable with tampons) I was pleasantly surprised to find even the dirt-cheap Lidl thin ones stuck well, are really thin and absorbent. And about 80p a pack or something ridiculous like that.

Madmog Tue 09-Oct-12 13:53:21

Thanks for your replies (so far). I was having a good luck in Tescos this morning and it was almost hard to know where to start. Good to hear some of the cheaper brands seem okay if I need to try more than one.

homeaway Tue 09-Oct-12 16:32:21

You could try a mooncup or natural sanitary towels (natracare is a good brand). I did a lot of reading about sanitary towels and decided that although they are more expensive the natural ones are better.

hellymelly Tue 09-Oct-12 16:36:24

I use natracare, but they do bunch up a bit. When I can't get hold of them I use bodyform.

greenandcabbagelooking Tue 09-Oct-12 16:38:05

I used to use Always, but they now have something in them which makes me so itchy and sore. Now using Halo which are nice. Lillets were good, but not sticky enough.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 09-Oct-12 16:41:59

I used Fairy hammocks reusable towels although if they must be disposable natracare are pretty good.

If you are experiencing itching with tampax I would strongly suggest you avoid Always and their ilk, full of nasty chemicals.

Or, may I second the moon cup suggestion.

hellymelly Tue 09-Oct-12 17:08:37

Fairy Hammocks! I am going to google them- I want a fairy hammock <stamps foot>

gingeroots Tue 09-Oct-12 18:18:45

Wow ,fairy hammocks !
www.femininewear.co.uk/cloth-pads-1-c.asp

MirandaWest Tue 09-Oct-12 18:23:17

I don't have periods nuw with the coil but when I did I used washable ones. No itching and much more comfortable smile

Jellykat Tue 09-Oct-12 18:51:00

I use Natracare, i have to, as i seem to have become allergic to bog standard products as i've got older.. plus they're better for the environment smile

Dillie Tue 09-Oct-12 22:38:52

I used to use always for years, but they changed them and I get itchy and sore with them.

I now use Morrison's own brand thin ones and touch wood no reaction. Plus they are at least £2 cheaper! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now