Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Struggling after gallbladder removal, any advice ?

(9 Posts)
AandAmom Tue 09-Oct-12 08:56:54

I had my GB removed a week ago today by keyhole, four very large stones. I was kept in overnight as my blood pressure was so low, sent home the next morning feeling awful. By 5pm that evening I was readmitted as I had been sick for five hours constantly. I was then kept in hospital on a drip with lots of anti sickness drugs and pain relief for four days. Since I have been home I constantly feel sick but taking cyclizine every 7 hours and keeping off the co-codamol so not actually been sick. Also not opened bowels since op despite them giving me an enema in hospital. Appetite non existent, exhausted all the time and urine very dark yellow. Wound area not bad but stomach very very bloated. Just wondered if all this was normal ? Only been given docs note for another week off work but can't imagine being able to return in a week if I still feel like this.

SlightlySuperiorPeasant Tue 09-Oct-12 09:14:51

You need to see your GP again for some lactulose and for them to assess your overall recovery. Work in a week does not sound like a good plan!

jalopy Tue 09-Oct-12 14:37:47

No, it's not normal. Can you get an appointment with your gp this evening?

GlesgaRocket Tue 09-Oct-12 14:43:00

I would contact your GP or call the ward who did the surgery. It doesn't sound right that you're still suffering so much a week post-op.

I had my gallbladder removed 4 weeks ago via keyhole, and fortunately, recovered really well. The ward stressed to me to contact them if i was in pain or had any questions/concerns.
My stomach was very bloated for about 2 weeks afterwards (i gained 8lbs overnight) but this was because of the air that was pumped in to expand belly during the op. It did eventually go down.

Hope you get it all sorted.

Felicitywascold Tue 09-Oct-12 14:46:39

No you have said several things that don't sound 'normal'. I would get back in touch with the hospital ASAP.

dondon33 Tue 09-Oct-12 14:49:53

Hi AandA, sorry you're having a crap time. I've had my GB removed and got a whole host of problems after. Like you I had mine done by keyhole but I felt ok immediately afterwards, I had a few symptoms you describe but nothing too serious. However, It was a little while later I started getting severe pain, vomiting etc.. I was soon re-admitted with a blocked bile duct (which I was told was the cause of my additional problems) Look out for any yellowing of your skin and whites of your eyes and pain.

The lactulose will help but possibly not immediately. If you're uncomfortable now send someone to the chemist to buy you some Glycerine suppositories (boots, superdrug and some pharmacies sell them) It will give immediate relief (10/15 mins)

There's a thread about this op/after effects somewhere, I'll try and find it and post a link.

dondon33 Tue 09-Oct-12 15:09:28

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_health/447282-still-having-problems-after-gall-bladder-removal/AllOnOnePage

Here it is, I'm crap at linky things so it may not work smile

MadgeHarvey Tue 09-Oct-12 18:06:07

It may not be normal but it's almost word for word how I was after mine. I'm now 7 weeks post op and only now feeling anything like better! I was constipated to the point of near insanity - swallowing Movicol 4 or 5 times a day for a week and nothing. I was bloated like a pregnant moo and in so much pain. Eventually I bought and ate two packs of dried apricots and within 2 hours of doing that things were very much improved on that front. grin - in fact, I think I spent most of the next week either on or running for the toilet but rather that than the other. As for the nausea - all I can tell you is it WILL go away. It will. A surgeon friend of DH recommended apple juice - small drinks twice a day. It really did help. Make sure it's the clear apple juice. And keep taking the cyclizine.
Appetite? I ate one banana a day for 10 days. It was all I wanted or could manage. I'd say to try to get something, however little, down at least once a day. You won't die from not eating much and your appetite too will return.
Some people have it dead easy with this op and some don't.
I don't work at the moment but I can tell you no way I would have been able to even 3 or 4 weeks after. I feel for you. It's so hard feeling like that but you will come out the other side - trust me on that!
Wish you well for a speedy recovery but remember to take your time -not that you can rush it anyway - and don't get disheartened that you're not one of the lucky "better in 7 days" crew.

AandAmom Tue 09-Oct-12 22:12:17

Thank you so much madgeharvey you have made me feel so much better, currently drinking prune juice and hoping for movement ! Went to docs tonight as advised by you other lovely people, he checked stomach and reassured me all ok and has said to go back next week when he will give me another docs note so luckily not going to have to rush back to work. X x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now