Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

natural remedy for stress, insomnia and peri-menopause

(8 Posts)
GeorgeEliot Mon 08-Oct-12 20:57:26

Not sleeping well at all at moment - fall asleep easily but wake up in the early hours and then can't get back to sleep for ages.

Work is stressful, so that's not helping - and at 48 think I am going through peri-menopause too.

has anyone tried any over the counter remedies that work? Am thinking St. john's wort, valerian, evening primrose oil ...

Or should I just book an appointment with my GP?

Doodlekitty Mon 08-Oct-12 20:59:42

Not for sleep as such but I swear by Bach rescue remedy for stress. It works really quickly and is used as and when you need it rather than regularly.

follyfoot Mon 08-Oct-12 21:08:20

My GP suggested trying herbal remedies first if I wanted to: eg agnus castus, evening primrose, black cohosh, red clover, dong quai etc . Black cohosh has some research to back its use iirc as of course does St Johns Wort. But in the end, improvements were minimal and there are dangers associated with herbal treatments just as there are with HRT. Tried most of them (not all at once), but to be honest I was back at the docs within 9 months. Now have an HRT patch which has alleviated all the really unpleasant symptoms. .

All the best whatever you chose

fluffycauliflower Tue 09-Oct-12 09:10:41

I think you should see your GP, there may be something going on that they can test for such as thryoid problems or anaemia.

BlueChampagne Tue 09-Oct-12 13:04:09

Re relaxation and sleep, I have found both Kalms (tablets available in most chemists) and Dr Stuart's valerian tea (health food shops) effective. Hope you feel better soon.

sailorsgal Tue 09-Oct-12 13:53:08

I am the same. I am going to give rhodiola root a try. I read about it in Good Housekeeping. Vitano is the brand name and it is available at boots. It does sound like the early stages of menopause but maybe get checked by your GP.

masmith Mon 13-May-13 20:11:27

i feel sleepy until i try to sleep and then i am wide awake really awake sometimes for 3 to 4 hrs i am 55 and need some advice please,,,

Footle Mon 13-May-13 20:17:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now