Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Would this be a really stupid reason to go to the GP?

(4 Posts)
festivalwidow Mon 08-Oct-12 17:07:30

I guess I'm part of the 'don't bother the doctor' demographic so I'm really not sure.
My mum was recently diagnosed with lung cancer. I'm an only child and trying to give her and my dad any support I can while she has treatment. In addition I have a demanding job, an energetic 2 year old, a husband who works away a lot and some ILs who are about as useful as chocolate radiators I'm sure think about us a lot.

Unsurprisingly I'm running myself ragged trying to keep things normal for DD, help mum and dad, not tread on anyone's toes, be a single parent when required, field all the calls from the family, do an OK job (I've stopped trying to do a 'great' one) and not lose my cool. For the first week or so I was kind of OK juggling it all, but I'm increasingly exhausted.

Instinct says to go to the GP for practical advice, but seeing as a) I'm not my mum's main carer, b) it's a self-inflicted exhaustion rather than a health problem as such (though I wouldn't like myself much if I wasn't helping or was neglecting DD), I'm reluctant to waste their time, but not sure where else to go for help on what to do and how to manage my energy levels. Red Bull and Berocca is not the way to go but that's about as far as I've got!

Any GPs out there?

Hippolyta20 Mon 08-Oct-12 17:29:34

You definately need to talk to someone for some help and support.

It sounds a perfectly reasonable thing to go to your GP for if that is what you want to do.

I would also recommend contacting Macmillan. They are excellent and have a huge amount of experience for this kind of situation. They can help with practical and emotional support both for you and yor Mum.

KurriKurri Mon 08-Oct-12 18:51:18

Gosh you've got a lot on your hands.

I second the recommendation of Macmillan, - they are generally brilliant at giving support and advice - emotional and practical. They also do loads of helpful brochures and booklets about all aspects of cancer and caring for people with cancer - check their website.

Secondly I would try to find out if there are any local cancer support organizations who could offer advice and help (many have things like complementary therapies for cancer patients and their family, things like massages, etc.)

I would go to you surgery and ask the receptionist if they can give you any information about help for carers (you may not be your mum's main carer, but you are a carer, and also they may be things that would be helpful for your dad)

Your mum's hospital/cancer unit may have information as well - in the chemo unit at our hospital there is a noticeboard with information about all the various support avenues - so worth a look when your mum goes for her treatment.

Lastly - to answer your main query, no I don't think it is unreasonable to go to the GP to ask for help, - you will be of no use to anyone if you become exhausted, your GP may very well know of support groups, organizations who help people in your situation. When my mum was caring for my dad (who had alzheimer's) her GP was very good at putting her in touch with peole who cold help.

KurriKurri Mon 08-Oct-12 19:16:35

excuse typos .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now