Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Low vitamin b12

(5 Posts)
WhatAFlange Mon 08-Oct-12 15:03:31

Just wondering if anyone has any experience?

I had a blood test about 6 months ago, b12 was low at 187. Had a b12 jab and was told to have another blood test this month. The blood form I got after the injection requested the following:

Red cell folate/B12, blood group/antibody screen, intrinsic factor antibodies, gastric parietal cell
antibodies, TTG

Had these done last week, results are all ok except b12, which is lower than last time at 157. Have another b12 jab on wednesday.

Saw gp this afternoon who said that negative intrinsic factor does not mean I do not have pernicious anaemia. Sometimes you can have it without having the IF antibodies.

I have another blood form to check for coeliac, thyroid levels and diabetes.

I'm worried that it may be something serious sad

RockinD Mon 08-Oct-12 19:24:03

Don't panic Flange. You obviously have a good doc here who is checking everything out. All the various things he is checking could be connected, but are unlikely to be serious.

With an inability to hang on to B12 you will need either regular (frequent) injections from your doc or some 1,000mcg sublingual tabs, which you can by on-line.

WhatAFlange Mon 08-Oct-12 19:29:22

Thanks Rockin smile

I really shouldn't google, but its so easy to do!

Is it possible do you know to have b12 deficiency without an underlying problem?

WhatAFlange Mon 08-Oct-12 19:29:22

Thanks Rockin smile

I really shouldn't google, but its so easy to do!

Is it possible do you know to have b12 deficiency without an underlying problem?

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 08-Oct-12 20:32:31

Primary pernicious anaemia is a lack of intrinsic factor due to antibodies.
Secondary pernicious anaemia occurs due a to a malabsorption disorder preventing absorption such as coeliac disease.
The standard induction protocol for any form of pernicious anaemia is an injection three times a week for two weeks and then every 12 weeks after that you can do these injections yourself I do.
I have both primary and secondary pernicious anaemia so have antibodies to intrinsic factor and coeliac disease.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now