Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Connection between Vitamin D deficiency and asthma

(10 Posts)
tedhutchinson Mon 08-Oct-12 10:11:28

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our <a target="_blank" href="/info/netiquette" rel="nofollow">Talk Guidelines</a>. Replies may also be deleted.

Sossiges Mon 08-Oct-12 13:00:33

Hi, I don't have asthma but am just interested in D3 as cold/flu prevention/general immune system boosting so will get some and thanks for all the info, very interesting smile

tedhutchinson Mon 08-Oct-12 13:56:39

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our <a target="_blank" href="/info/netiquette" rel="nofollow">Talk Guidelines</a>. Replies may also be deleted.

Sossiges Tue 09-Oct-12 10:43:41

@tedhutchinson I read your articles, thanks and I was also interested to see that they supplemented once a month instead of daily or several times a week. Hardly mimicking nature!
I'm no expert but if the test subjects had been deficient in D3 (which they apparently weren't), 10,000 iu per month doesn't seem a huge amount, either.
It would have been nice if they had stated what the average levels actually were instead of just saying "normal". Also as "Pete" said in the comments, only testing one population with little D3 deficiency doesn't show much, it would be much better to test other populations (e.g. Scotland!) where people are much more likely to be deficient (and D3 supplementation is more likely to have a noticeable effect). Where I am in the UK we've had hardly any sunny days this year (maybe 30-45 days) so it's no wonder we're all low in "the sunshine vitamin".
"The researchers got the results they wanted" yes, it's funny how often that happens.
Is it worth supplementing with vitamin K (K2) as well as the magnesium and omega 3?
Thanks smile

tedhutchinson Tue 09-Oct-12 11:10:33

Sossiges Tue 09-Oct-12 12:07:22

Of course it was 100,000 iu don't take any notice. I have baby brain. Yesterday I said to myself: "Today is Monday, so tomorrow is...? tomorrow must be...um...?" and it took me at least a minute to get the right answer confused
Bone marrow stock...er...never. Interesting blog though, I'll have a trawl through it.

tedhutchinson Tue 09-Oct-12 13:37:02

magso Tue 09-Oct-12 14:09:00

I am not sure I could go back to boiling up bones to make inexpensive stock as we did in my childhood ( it smells awful), although I suppose it is good for you! The sevenseas flexible you fish oil+ contains VIT k ( and a miniscule amount of unspecified vit D). Anyone know if this is a suitable formulation (obviously not enough vit d without further supplimentation) for fish oils?
Thank you Ted for reminding us chesty folk of Vit D. I had to go on to high dose corticosteroids (short course) following an op 2 weeks back and saw an earlier post of yours (re leaching of vit D with oral cortico-steroids)so got straight back on to my vit D spray (5000iu). I already suppliment fish oils and magnesium but had got a bit lax with the vit D over the summer . Last time I left hospital with high dose steroids (not a short course) I was given D3+calcium to take, and whether it was related or not decame quite ill (now diagnosed as CFS). I think I have improved since taking Vit D and magnesium but there are so many variables its hard to know. Why does the NHS give D3+calcium without magnesium?
Most asthmatics get worse in winter - are there any studies that show if there is a direct link with serum VIT D levels?

tedhutchinson Tue 09-Oct-12 15:59:26

magso Tue 09-Oct-12 16:20:40

Thank you Ted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now