Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What is wrong with my DP?

(4 Posts)
performancegirl Mon 08-Oct-12 09:30:02

Hi, i was hoping that someone would have any ideas of what is wrong with my DP.
He is nearly 50, stopped smoking in June after 35 years of 30 a day & is very physically active. Since stopping smoking he has put on about a stone and a half (as have I!)
For the last month or so he has had a permanent metallic taste in his mouth which he says tastes like he has a mouthful of blood although there is no blood in his salvia & he does not taste bad when we kiss! He has also started making strange ‘grunting’ noises in the back of his throat, about 7 or 8 times a day he reckons. They are barely audible to others but he says they make him feel like he is going to go straight to sleep. He is also very tired, says he feels exhausted all the time but isn’t actually any more tired than usual; he works full time & is very active outside of work & we have sex nearly every day.
He has had a cough since giving up smoking which he finally got an Xray for on Friday.
The last few nights he has been very restless, yawning in his sleep, crying out & also a bit of coughing, he is much more fidgety than usual.
I am worried sick; I am scared that the xray is going to show that he has cancer but whether it does or not there is clearly something not right with him. Just wondered whether anyone has any ideas as the doctor didn’t seem to take it seriously & just suggested that he might have an ‘infection’.

Thank you

BigFatLegsInWoolyTIghts Mon 08-Oct-12 10:22:29

The taste is very common....it's to do with his taste buds "waking up" and healing. Te grunting....and tiredness sound like they could be to do with his weight to me...are the noises he makes involuntary?

performancegirl Mon 08-Oct-12 10:40:29

Thanks, yes they are, probably started about 4 weeks ago. they happen when he is sitting down at his desk so are not a result of exertion iyswim. He wasn't overweight until we stopped smoking & we both probably drink a bit too much wine so the weight has been going on the last few months. he's about 16 stone, 5ft 11 & quite broad & muscular so not hugely overweight. We are starting a diet this week smile
That's reassuring about the taste, thank you! Why couldn't the GP say that?!

maillotjaune Mon 08-Oct-12 15:00:13

Could he have sleep apnoea? If extra weight is causing involuntary grunts it could be at night his airway is closing too, causing him to wake up frequently even if he's not aware if it. One if my uncles suffered with this - first advice is generally weight loss I believe but if that doesn't help then do follow this up with the GP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now