Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Panicky constriction of throat triggered by certain foodstuffs - advice sought

(5 Posts)
gingeroots Sun 07-Oct-12 20:56:26

Three members of my family ,including myself and my mother get this - throat sort of feels as though it's closed and efforts to breathe ( in panic through mouth ) results in a whooping sound .

Having had this myself it seems to be related to stress ,tiredness and certain foods - creme filled chocolate products being one .

My mother ( in her 90's ) had a bad attack at the weekend ,brought on I think when a tablet didn't quite down and her forceful coughing to try and bring it up .

Really I just wondered if anyone else had experience of this and if they had any tips to shorten the attack .

It ocurred to me after the event that a lot of the problem is the feeling of choking and not being able to breathe and that maybe I should have reminded my mum to breathe through her nose .

walnutcakelover Sun 07-Oct-12 21:44:04

Anxiety/panick or Acid reflux? not sure. I suffer anxiety, and sometimes I feel like I am going to choke when i am eating and swallowing, haven't really helped sorry.

FelixDaSouza Sun 07-Oct-12 21:49:07

Not sure about the panicky side of things but I would avoid all of the foods that you feel trigger it.

If it is an allergic reaction you really do not want to be taking risks with foods that could potentially cause an anaphylactic type reaction.

Hope you find out the cause. It sounds horrible. Take care smile

gingeroots Sun 07-Oct-12 22:05:32

I do have gastric reflux but the constriction + whooping is different .
And my mum is on high doses of Ranatadine and doesn't get relux .

I can't think it's an allergy as there are no other symptoms - no rash or swelling and it does subside fairly quickly .
Maybe it's a sort of muscle spasm .

Anyway ,I'm sure we can't be unique and I just wondered how best to cope with an attack .

gingeroots Mon 08-Oct-12 11:04:27

aah ,have found this on google now voicedoctor.net/therapy/laryngospasm
and the clip has the noise ...so am guessing this is it .

Tilting head back ,sniffing ,trying to breathe slowly all recommended .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now