Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is it chicken pox? Again?

(4 Posts)
Chickenpox Sun 07-Oct-12 17:46:03

Hi DD had chicken pox when she was 6 but very mildly (only 13 spots).
Now she is 8 and I noticed 3 spots on her face which she said are itchy, tiny pin prick spots all over her tummy which I assumed was some sort of heat rash, and I have just discovered another spot on her back.
Could she get it twice? If yes how long does she need to stay at home I can't remember from 2 years ago?

bigbluebus Sun 07-Oct-12 18:01:50

It is possible to get Chicken Pox twice. DD had it mildy the 1st time and was covered in spots the 2nd time around. You need to keep her at home until the spots have dried up and crusted over IIRC.

Chickenpox Sun 07-Oct-12 18:24:59

Oh dear! I hope DD won't have it too badly this time around. She is not hot or anything but I expect tomorrow some more spots will show up.
sad

tiggytape Sun 07-Oct-12 22:42:41

It might be. But CP doesn't normally start on the face - it is normally the trunk. CP spots aren't pin pricks but are blisters (they may of course form into blisters overnight). Keep an eye on her and see what it is like tomorrow.
Other things that can start on the face and spread to the trunk and itch can be things like impetigo spots or it could be a heat rash / allergic rash. See what it is like in the morning and call the GP if you're not sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now