Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What's your Failsafe Cold Remedy?

(10 Posts)
blue2 Sun 07-Oct-12 16:29:36

I am feeling very sorry for myself atm; I have the cold from hell, and on day 4 (today) I am still streaming - nose and eyes! There is no sign that its shifting...

Neither Daynurse, Nightnurse, Lemsip or Sudafed touch it.

I have a posh 'do' on Tuesday night and need to try and feel (and look) vaguely normal

Any suggestions - am happy to go for the "full drugs" option or the natural one (Suspect I'll just go for both!)

SecretCervix Sun 07-Oct-12 16:34:42

I have a feeling I am going to come down with one in a couple of days. I'm pregnant though so can't really do the full drugs option, so hoping someone comes along with a pregnancy safe method!

cocolepew Sun 07-Oct-12 16:36:25

Vicks. Smeared all over face and throat at bedtime.

mamalovesmojitos Sun 07-Oct-12 16:38:35

Take nurofen colds and flu, not just once but for a couple of days. Lots of fresh juice (carrot, spinach, apple etc.). Lots of water. Soft tissues so your nose isn't red. Have a hot whiskey tonight with the juice of 2 lemons and wrap up really warm before bed. Fluids and rest!

mamalovesmojitos Sun 07-Oct-12 16:41:29

Oh and steaming always gives me some relief

bigbluebus Sun 07-Oct-12 18:03:50

Lem Sip Max Strength night and day capsules usually work in this household! We are also big fans of Olbas oil to open up the airways.

Vix07 Sun 07-Oct-12 18:07:15

Hot Toddy. Loads of whisky, lemon & nutmeg - really helps sweat it out!

blue2 Sun 07-Oct-12 18:08:08

Thanks for all your suggestions so far. I may go and dig out some Vicks or Olbas Oil. I'm sure I have some somewhere.

I'll go and hunt out some Nurofen for Colds and Flu. I tend to go for the paracetamol versions, but as they haven't worked - I may as well try something else.

mamalovesmojitos Mon 08-Oct-12 20:10:06

Hope you're feeling better smile.

MadgeHarvey Mon 08-Oct-12 21:16:13

I've not had a cold for years (and if that doesn't bring one on by tomorrow I don't know what will!) but someone once told me to 'sweat the bugger out' at the first sign. I take the maximum dose of painkillers, OD on those fizzy Echinacea tablets, pile on extra blankets and right before bed take a hefty slug of Night Nurse. It's always worked!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now