Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tips for coping with, or even getting rid of, PMS plus the strss head dip after the period is over.

(12 Posts)
JustFabulous Sat 06-Oct-12 15:24:26

Please, for everyone who lives in the FABHouse's sake, including my marriage, has anyone got any advice, help or tips for me.

FishfingersAreOK Sun 07-Oct-12 00:08:15

I have started taking evening primrose oil. 1000mg a day. Took a few weeks but it has really evened out my moods/hormones. I also changed pill. Marvellous Marvelon, which had worked fine for me before DC was making me feel really down and irrational. Stopped as soon as I switched to a different pill. My GP made a note on my record that I react badly to a particular substance in Marvelon (can't remember the name) so GPs in the future will know to avoid it.
Not sure if this is of any use.

sashh Sun 07-Oct-12 06:23:17

Depo provera - no PMS, no period, it changed my life and that of my housemate.

Obviously no good if your TTC.

cupcake78 Sun 07-Oct-12 07:24:20

If its really really bad drs will prescribe a small dose anti depressant that you take a few weeks before your period. Can really help!

poppy283 Sun 07-Oct-12 07:30:27

Second 1000mg evening primrose oil.

JollyJack Sun 07-Oct-12 07:34:17

Do you use tampons? There was an article in the guardian - hearsay, not scientific research though - that suggested mooncups help as tampons contain chemicals.

SushiPaws Sun 07-Oct-12 07:38:54

Evening primrose oil and starflower oil, multivitamins that include iron can help. Also make sure your getting some exercise each day, even if its just a 20 minute power walk round the neighbourhood.

I came off AD's in the spring, I was fine until my period and around ovulation. The above cured this and I still notice a change of mood, but not the utter madness I had.

Onetwothreeoops Sun 07-Oct-12 07:49:36

When I had the mirena coil fitted I had absolutely no symptoms of pmt whatsoever. I wouldn't definitely recommend it for that purpose. Again though, it's no good if you are trying to conceive.

Onetwothreeoops Sun 07-Oct-12 07:50:59

*would recommend it obviously

hairtwiddler Sun 07-Oct-12 07:53:55

Exercise is the only thing that has consistently helped me. Cycling to work three times a week and trying to fit in a weekly swim. Trying to cut down on the sugary crap helps too, but the pms cravings often override that one.
There is an article in the BMJ about Agnus Castus. I'll see if I can find it. I could never work out how much to take though as the pills you can buy are different strengths and it messes with ovulation I think....

hairtwiddler Sun 07-Oct-12 07:55:15

here it is, rct on Agnus Castus for pms

JustFabulous Sun 07-Oct-12 08:34:59

Wow, thank you for all your replies.

I have bought EPO, Agnus Castus and Magnesium but part of the problem is remembering to take them as some say take with food and I never remember. I need to prioritise as I am always putting everyone else first. I know AC works as I have taken it for a long time but have just got out of the habit as I have had a lot of other things going on.

Not TTC and dh has had the snip so no need for any kind of pill. I have been to my GP and asked for something my neighbour recommended but he wouldn't give it to me until I had tests for another problem. I don't know how long that is going to take though. I was really bad yesterday but had just finished my period a day or so before so really confused as to why I felt so crap then.

I came off ADs about 2-3 months ago I think.

I rarely use tampons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now