Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

'thumping' heart feeling

(28 Posts)
germyrabbit Thu 04-Oct-12 21:49:28

had this for a week or so but it comes and goes when i am more stressed about something, anyone have this sort of thing? it's annoying more than worrying

germyrabbit Thu 04-Oct-12 22:10:32

you lot are no help <thump>

CuriosityCola Thu 04-Oct-12 22:12:29

I would go and get any kind of palpitations checked at your gp. Even if it is just caused by anxiety they will give you methods to calm yourself and stop them getting worse.

nellyjelly Thu 04-Oct-12 22:12:58

Palpitations probably due to stress.

amillionyears Thu 04-Oct-12 22:48:13

get it checked out.
From what little i know it doesnt have to be serious.

jessiegee Thu 04-Oct-12 23:20:16

I get an extra heart beat when I'm very very stressed. It's not dangerous. Would go get checked out though just to make sure it is anxiety related.

germyrabbit Fri 12-Oct-12 21:14:11

went to get this checked out and they did an ecg (normal) and took blood am awaiting results, it's happening all the time and annoying!

btw the dr didn't give me any 'calming' methods sad

amillionyears Fri 12-Oct-12 21:28:03

I remember someone who had something like this was told to cut down caffeine,to one cup of something with caffeine a day. It may not be the same for you,though may be worth asking about.
Very glad you have been to the GP and it is getting looked into.

winnybella Fri 12-Oct-12 21:36:55

Is it every beat that's strong or rather it feels like you have a skipped heartbeat and the next one is very strong? In the latter case it's probably ectopic heartbeats, nothing serious unless they come in a series of three or more.

germyrabbit Fri 12-Oct-12 21:45:15

i am fine for ages then i get them for about 2 to 10 minutes at a time, then it goes back to normal. so it's every beat but subsides then comes back

germyrabbit Fri 12-Oct-12 21:46:20

i do drink lot of caffeine thinking about it but surely that can't cause it so much? will try cutting back to see if it helps

41notTrendy Fri 12-Oct-12 21:49:36

I have this. I went to see GP, had a heart monitor, saw a cardiologist who said its normal, stress related and that I'm now so keyed into them I notice them whereas others wouldn't. I have beta blockers if I want to take them to 'disconnect' my mind from them. Go to see your GP. Sure you're normal smile

CuriosityColaKilledTheCat Fri 12-Oct-12 22:05:26

That's a shame, I was sure they would have discussed the anxious/panicky feeling that comes with it. Glad you are getting it seen to though.

41notTrendy Sat 13-Oct-12 08:52:43

I'm sorry I didn't see you've already been to your gp. If the results come back ok, but you still get them I'd go back and ask to be referred.

digerd Sat 13-Oct-12 19:09:00

Palpitations can be very worrying to the sufferer, and is not optimal for your well-being. My personal experience at having them in my 20s, was the result of my Thyroid gland overacting and everything was speeded up, including my pulse rate. But the palpitations happened mainly at rest in bed at night, but I had missed beats and then rushing ones and then normal., it was very frightening. I also lost weight but ate more as was always ravenous. It was diagnosed through a special Thyroid blood test.

germyrabbit Sun 14-Oct-12 11:02:38

maybe i will ask to be referred if the bloods come back as normal, as i woke up with them again this morning and not particlarly stressed at the moment.

legohamster Thu 18-Oct-12 12:36:11

I have had the same thing for about 2 years now and was referred to a cardiologist, had a 24 hr ECG monitor and blood tests. ECG was normal, blood tests were borderline thyroid and anaemia. Was advised to eat a high protein diet and given iron and magnesium.
Although feeling better now I do still get the palpitations and have started keeping a diary of when they occur and I have noticed that I seem to have a lot more the day before and the first 2 days of my period. GP has recommended that I take the magnesium on these days but not really sure what it does.

amillionyears Thu 18-Oct-12 15:32:33

How are you feeling now germyrabbit?
Have your results come back.
Dont reply if you dont want to.

Stellarella123 Thu 18-Oct-12 16:02:22

Sounds like etopic heartbeats, I had this and it was horrible but doc told me to cut out caffeine, I only have 2 cups of yea a day but he told me Pepsi max is very high in caffeine, ( I drank a lot of this ) cut it out and it helped, he says tiredness and stress can cause it too which I was both. Hope it goes away for u smile

Stellarella123 Thu 18-Oct-12 16:02:56

*tea

germyrabbit Wed 31-Oct-12 09:11:01

hi all results came back normal (apart from high cholesteral which isn't surprising) yet i still get these palpitations on and off. not sure what to do next but will also try keeping and diary and cutting down on caffeine.

alcohol also exaggerated them

germyrabbit Wed 31-Oct-12 09:11:48

(ionly drink one night a week)

Thistledew Wed 31-Oct-12 09:25:27

Are you taking any other medication? I get these too, and also have had clear blood checks, ECG etc. Mine have significantly lessened since I became fitter and improved my cardio-vascular fitness.

However, earlier this year they came back with a vengeance, and I was having several long-lasting episodes a day. I eventually worked out it was being caused by the Loratadine I was taking in a hayfever remedy. Since stopping the medication, the episodes have lessened to less than once a week again.

If you are getting them daily, I would suggest keeping a food diary, and cutting out any fizzy drinks, and things with artificial colours or flavourings.

jennycrofter Wed 31-Oct-12 09:39:57

After a couple of frightening episodes like this, I went to the GP. First GP I saw wasn't much help, but the second was brilliant, and as a first step, recommended these two websites.
Moodjuice and Nice self help. You mention that you don't feel stressed, so maybe this isn't it, but perhaps you'll find something useful here.

germyrabbit Wed 31-Oct-12 11:15:24

am not taking any medication (though bought some Kalms to help if it may be stress!) though do drink alot of caffeine, will check out those sites, thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now