Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any opticians around?

(7 Posts)
zombiewalker Wed 03-Oct-12 14:58:27

Would appreciate advice if so had my eyes tested this week and optician said that my current glasses from another optician (well known high street chain) done a few years back were wrong and too strong, my new prescription is as follows
right sph +0.75 cyl -1.50 axis 180
left sph +0.75 cyl -1.25 axis 180

but the confusing thing is that the plus and minus are mixed up compared to my previous prescription which was
right sph -1.00 cyl +0.75 axis 94.0
left sph -1.50 cyl +1.25 asis 88.0

when i compare this to yet another prescription from yet another optician a few years before the last the plus and minus were in the same order as the last one.

the reason ive kept changing opticians is both previous opticians couldnt get contacts to work for me after a few trials yet my new optician says it shouldnt be a problem at all anyone makes sense of this???

ThickCut Wed 03-Oct-12 15:21:11

Because its minus and plus cyl. You transpose the prescription (rx)

ThickCut Wed 03-Oct-12 15:29:14

Sorry not in more depth, I'm on my phone and feeding my baby

zombiewalker Wed 03-Oct-12 17:56:49

dont quite understand but i appreciate the reply smile

ThickCut Wed 03-Oct-12 20:40:26

Sorry, It's very hard to explain, but prescriptions can be written in plus cyl or minus cyl form. This link explains it better than I can en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyeglass_prescription#section_11

barleysugar Wed 03-Oct-12 21:07:53

Yes, it is transposed, that is all. Some prefer to do minus cyl prescriptions as it supposedly creates a sharper image on the retina. Its personal choice of the Optom usually.

zombiewalker Wed 03-Oct-12 21:20:05

thank you, well hopefully my new glasses with be better than the ones i currently have and lenses will work for me this time, fingers crossed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now